|
Local
History
Lives
of great men all remind us,
We can make our lives sublime,
And departing, leave behind us,
Footprints on the sands of time.
'Psalm of Life' by H.W.Longfellow
|
Down
Memory Lane3
|

The late Ned Walsh from Coole doing the shopping in
Hart's,Campile, May1985

Threshing at Jimmy Murphy's Ballykerogue a few years ago
|

John Wallace's Shop
John Wallace first set up shop in a Nissan
Hut. These huts were of American origin and were
the sleeping quarters of U.S. soldiers in the
North during World War 2. John had a grocery and
drapery business in this hut from 1947-1960 when
he built the present Village Grill. John died in
1979.
|

|
Pat Grennan, Ballykerogue using
the drill cleaner in the early 1950's.
|

|
Markie Shalloe and Stasia O'Shea. Markie was a ferryman
on the Ballinlaw Ferry which crossed from Great Island
to Slieverue in Co.Kilkenny. He is pictured here with a
load of gravel from Cairn's Weir.
|

|
Kate and Jerry Connors.
This photo of Kate and Jerry Connors was taken by
Bridget O'Brien, Aclare in the early 1950's with a
small camera she received for collecting cards on Wills
tobacco. She still has the camera. The photo was taken
outside her shop when they were delivering tea
drawers or Tommy Cans which Bridget sold. The cans
were used by road men for making tea and were used to
carry milk The Connors lived in a wagon in Ballybrazil
for over twenty years but travelled in the summer. They
made the tea drawers from 'block tin' often under the
big tree in Campile.They also made quart and half gallon
containers and were excellent tinsmiths from where we
get the word 'tinkers'. Plastic containers ended their
craft. |

|
Suttons of Coole 1918
A distinguished family from Horeswood. The parish used
be called Sutton's Parish after Roger de Sutton
who landed at Bannow Bay with Robert fitzStepen in 1169.
Their main residence was at Ballykerogue Castle.
Back: Tim and Annie.
Front: Brigid,Thoma
(Senior),Michael,Thomas,Kathleen,Margaret, Mary Anne and
Richard. Missing is Johnny.
Thomas,a quarter master in the Old I.R.A, was known as
The Boss and was interned in Wexford jail in 1922.
|

|
Josie Ryan, Dunganstown,
digging potatoes in 1963 |

|
Brigid O'Brien, James and Áine
stand beside a very old letterbox. It is to be seen on
the wall at Brigid's shop in Aclare. It has the letters
GR on it which stand for Georgius Rex or King
George(1910-1936).It also has the Royal Crown. The post
boxes were originally painted Royal Red but with Irish
Independence in 1921 they were painted green. The post
box is still in use. A similar wall box can be seen in Priesthaggard. A third wall box can be seen in Whitechurch
with the letters ER V11or King Edward
7th (1901-1910). |
Click
for more 'memories' |
|
|
|
|