Home Page|Company Profile|Publications|Links

reported that while they were in captivity they were well treated. Ernie O'Malley gave the order for their execution.


The following are a few of the incidents which occurred during the period 1921-1923. I have not referred to all the incidents I have read or have heard about during the compilation of this book.

A Breach of the Truce in Cashel

A breach of the Truce occurred in Cashel on December 9, 1921. Two R.I.C. constables were fired at while they were walking at night in the town. One of them was seriously wounded. The incident was perpetrated by two men in civilian dress. They were seen running up a side street by Fr. Duggan C.C. after the incident. The Dáil, as a result of this and other breaches of the Truce, issued a statement condemning the attacks on British forces. It was believed at the time by the leaders of the I.R.A. that the attacks were not committed by any of their members, but by certain individuals who were trying to conceal their actions and make it appear that the I.R.A. were responsible.

The I.R.A. Suppress "The Nationalist"

The majority of the Third Tipperary Brigade were opposed to the Treaty, signed on December 6, 1921.  A proclamation against the Treaty was drawn up and sent to "The Nationalist" for publication. The Editor refused to publish the proclamation. As a result of his refusal, the I.R.A. threatened to suppress the paper. The Editor notified the Minister for Defence of this threat against his paper and he was assured that there would be no interference with the paper. The Editor persisted in his refusal and as a result the I.R.A. suppressed and dismantled the paper's machinery. A Platen printing press was also confiscated and was later used by the Republicans to produce a propaganda sheet called "Chun an Lae".

"Chun an Lae"

At the end of July 1922, the 2nd Southern Division acquired an almost new Platen printing press (confiscated from "The Nationalist"). Sean Fitzpatrick and a compositor from Clonmel, named Hally, produced a weekly, quarto-size, 4 page bulletin at Meagher's of Blackcastle, near Rosegreen, called "Chun an Lae", which was used for propaganda purposes by the Republicans during the Civil War. It was distributed by the members of the Flying Columns Active Service Units and Republican supporters in the Third Tipperary Brigade's area. It was free and no copies are known to exist. The last known copies were apparently destroyed on the change of government in 1932, by the Justice Department of the Cumann na nGael government. Seamus Robinson (Officer Commanding, 2nd Southern Division, and formerly Brigadier, Third Tipperary Brigade) was its Editor. Only a few copies were produced from October 1922, to February 1923. The actual printing press was used for a few years afterwards by Fitzpatrick Bros., printers, Tipperary town. It is apparently in their yard at present.

Engagement at Blackcastle

On the afternoon of September 18, 1922, Free-State forces surprised a group of Anti-Treaty men at Blackcastle, near Rosegreen. The leader of the Free-State forces was Staff Captain Taylor. The Free-State forces advanced toward the Anti-Treaty position. As they moved in the Anti-Treaty men opened fire and then retreated to a hill above the house where they took cover. Shortly after this they retired but three of them were captured by the Free-Staters. Those captured were Staff Captain Jerry Fitzpatrick, John Lonergan of New Inn and P. Kiely of Clerihan.

Ambush of "The Grey Ghost"

During 1922, the railways were of vital importance. They were much more important than they are