Home Page|Company Profile|Publications|Links

in the attack on Drangan R.I.C. barracks. During the Civil War an arms dump was found at the rear of his house by Free-State forces. He was arrested on December 26, 1922, and taken to Fethard military barracks. He was then brought to Knockelly for questioning about the arms dump. While he was there a machine gun was "turned" on him and he was wounded. He lived for about a week afterwards. He was interred in Moycarkey cemetery with full military honours.

The Death of Liam Lynch, Republican Chief-of-Staff

At the time of his death, April 10, 1923, Liam Lynch was Chief-of-Staff of the Republican forces. He was shot at Crohan West, in the foothills of the Knockmealdown Mountains, above Newcastle, by Free-State forces. After he was shot he was taken to St. Joseph's Hospital, Clonmel, where he died from his wound on the evening of Tuesday, April 10, at approximately 8.45pm. When Liam Lynch died he was one of the few Republicans who wanted to continue the Civil War. Shortly after his death the Republicans decided to cease hostilities.

Engagement at Castleblake

On the morning of April. 14, 1923, Free-State forces converged on the ruined castle at Castleblake, near Rosegreen, after receiving information that it was being used by the Republicans.

The Free-State forces were led by Captain Quinlan and Lieutenant Patrick Kennedy, the latter being a native of Rosegreen and former member of 1st Battalion, Third Tipperary Brigade. After reaching the ruined castle, Lieutenant Kennedy called on the occupants to surrender. John Cleary, Third Tipperary Brigade Adjutant, surrendered. Lieutenant Kennedy then fired three shots through the door of a make shift shelter the Republicans had built in the ruins and then he began to break it down. A grenade was thrown from inside the shelter, Lieutenant Kennedy was badly wounded and was later to die from his wounds. After the explosion the Free-State troops moved in from all sides to clear the building. Captain Ned Somers, former Free-State Commanding Officer in Callan, left the building firing his revolver and was shot by the Free-State forces. Theo English, Brigade Intelligence Officer, Third Tipperary Brigade, was next to emerge and was also shot. He was a native of Tipperary town.


Source: Paddy Doyle, Rathordan, Cashel

The late Jimmy Doyle, of Bullockpark Cross, Rosegreen, while taking a message to Dinny Lacey was stopped by the Black and Tans at the Centenary Co-op, Cashel, on the Cahir/Cashel road. He was searched and beaten. The Black and Tans didn't find the message, which was hidden in the peak of his cap.

Source: Jim Shelly, Rosegreen, Cashel

On the Cashel/Cahir road at Strumbles, near New Inn, there was an ambush of a Black and Tan convoy during the War of Independence. The convoy passed on this route regularly. The I.R.A. on a number of consecutive nights, prior to the ambush, blocked the road with stones and rubble, taken from the wall beside the road. When the Black and Tans reached this obstruction, being convinced they were about to be ambushed, they would disembark from their vehicles and set up defensive positions while the barricade was cleared. For a few nights this happened without incident, and then one night, convinced it was just another barricade, and not an ambush, the Black and Tans relaxed their security arrangements and left their weapons in their lorry while they cleared the barricade. On this occasion they were attacked by the I.R.A. and suffered some casualties in the ensuing fight.