THE PITCH

 

Over the years many fields were used for training including JJ Kelly’s Inch on the banks of the river, Dinny Guiney’s field at the top of the Post Boithrín, “The Clover” near the cottages and Josie Doherty’s field in the village.

 

In 1955 the club rented Jack Doherty’s Inch and did so for 27 years. In August 1979 Fr. Carroll struck a deal with Pats Ward and he sold 4.75 acres for a price of £14,000. Funds had to be raised to cover the costs. A draw was ran, the locals gave very generously and a loan was received from Croke Park. Locals did a lot of the work in draining and levelling the field on a voluntary basis, as was the building of the clubhouse, under the supervision of ANCO. The Pitch was officially opened in 1985 and is known as “Pairc Mhic Cartaigh”

 

 

 

 

 

The Handball Alley.

 

In 1984 the GAA centenary year a 40 * 20 maple floor enclosed handball alley was opened in Tournafulla. Talks of the alley begun in 1981 at a meeting in the hall where ANCO were asked to do the job. The club decided to supply labour and costs of £15,000 for the project. Work commenced on May 3rd with many locals on board. In November 1983 a handball club was set up. The committee included:

 

                              Chairman: Billy Lenihan.

Secretary: Seamus O’Sullivan.

Treasurer: John Curtin.

Vice chairman: Lar Collins

 

The Alley, which was playable on the first week of January 1984, had 128 members. The first tournament was “Beginners Doubles” and was won by John Collins & David Wrenne who beat Paudie Walshe & Seamus O’Sullivan in the final. Over the years tournaments have continued with huge success especially over the winter months and the handball alley has proved to be an invaluable resource for the community and neighbouring parishes.