Rockfield School
The first school was set up in the
chapel after the Board of Education Act of 1831 bringing the
National School System into being. This parochial house was
in operation until the famine. In 1850 a national school was
built opposite the chapel ,it had a teachers
residence at the western end of the building .
The first teacher was Matthew Doyle who taught
until 1891, he had been taught at a hedge himself. The
present building opened in 1902, built by Clarence of
Ballysadare and James Jordan & Sons (clogas).
Mr. and Mrs McInerney took up duty in the
new school and continued until Mr McInerneys death in 1924.
He was replaced by Mr M. Keogan from Cavan. Mrs McInerney
retired in 1926 and was replaced by Mrs Mc Carrick
who was teaching in Cappagh.
The Cappagh vacancy was filled by Miss Mary
JaneMcInerney - daughter of the McInerneys; later in 1926 both Mr
Keogan and Miss McInerney secured positions in Cavan. The
vacancy in Rockfield was filled by Mr Kevin Devine.
Kevin was appointed to Carrowmore in 1943 and
Mrs Mc Guinness filled the vacancy in Rockfield. The
principalship was later filled by Mr Eamon Mc Guinness son
of Mrs Mc Guinness and he subsequently joined
the Dept. Of Education inspectorate.
Mr Seamas Harkin, Mr Brendan Kelly and Mr
Eamon Mullen served as principal for short periods In
January 1979 Ignatius Henry was appointed as principal.
In 1971 schools in the parish were
amalgamated, both Cappagh and Killoran schools closed and
the children from both areas were transported to Rockfield.
G.W.I. erected a chalet classroom at this
time however it wasnt occupied until September 1979 when a
second assistant was appointed -Mrs Mc Hugh. The school
continued to grow and a third assistant was appointed- Miss
Conheady in 1987, this led to the erection of a second temporary
classroom.
Mrs Margaret Keane retired
in 1994 and was replaced by Miss Sinead Gallagher. The
difficult campaign of trying to secure a remedial teacher
came to a successful conclusion in 1995 with the appointment of
Mrs Mary Clarke. Miss Sinead Gallagher moved to Calry N.S. in
November 2000 and she was replaced by Miss Gabrielle Hosey. Miss
Maura moved to Carbury school in Sligo and she was replaced by Mr
Paul Lundy in September 2001.