National daily papers carried a news item on Friday 28th January stating:-
Pope John Paul has signed a decree recognising a miracle by Pope John XXIII, which will allow for his beatification. He also recognised a miracle attributed to to Dublin-born Benedictine priest Dom Columba Marmion, who died in 1923.- The beatification will take place in Rome in the first week in September.
The previous evening Fr. Joe Marmion, S.J., a grandnephew of the Benedictine, was interviewed on R.T.E. television concerning his illustrious relative. Fr. Marmion recounted that his granduncle was born Joseph Marmion in Queen Street on April 1st 1858. He was a pupil at Belvedere College and Clonliffe seminary before going to the Irish College in Rome.
After ordination in 1881 he served for a time in Dundrum parish, Dublin. In 1886 he entered the Benedictine monastery in Maredsous in Belgium, becoming abbot in 1909. He was famous for his many spiritual books, which which were published in ten languages.
His body was exhumed 40 years after burial and was found to be totally incorrupt though the vestments in which he was buried had decayed. The miracle now being recognised involved a Canadian lady, a young mother during the sixties, who was suffering from advanced cancer and who visited his grave in Maredsous, where she prayed to be cured. She is still alive and is said to be a daily golfer.
On being contacted by Le Chéile, Fr. Marmion brought our attention to a gravestone, which stands beside the old church in Mainham cemetery, immediately outside the south wall. It reads:
Erected by William and Matthew Marmion in memory of their beloved mother, Elizabeth O'Sullivan, who departed this life 30th March 1855 aged 59 years. Also Margaret, the beloved wife of the above Mathew Marmion, who died 4th March 1857 aged 28 years. Also their brother John O'Sullivan, who died 17th August 1850 aged 21 years and John Sebastian, beloved child of of the above William Marmion who died 18th October 1853 aged 2 years.
Joseph Marmion, whose name in religion was Columba, was born in Queen Street, near the Hay Market, shortly after the family had move to Dublin. The old Georgian houses, which stood three and four stories over the basement,deteriorated into tenements and were knocked down about twenty years ago. They were replaced by blocks of flats, one of which bears the name Marmion court.
Fr. Joe Marmion, S.J. tells the story about his great grandparents, that they left Clane shortly after the death of their two year old son John Sebastian and settled in Dublin. The parents were heart-broken and prayed to St. Joseph that they might have another son in his place and, God willing, they would like to see him becoming a priest. Their prayers were answered in every way.
In our March 1974 issue of Le Chéile, under the Know Your Clane series, we reproduced a drawing of the old Garda Station in the Main street, later Merriman's and now Pat Walsh's Fruit and Vegatable Shop. We alluded to it having been the Marmion home. The Valuation Survey of 1850 lists its occupier as Matthew Marmion. He is also listed as the leasor of the R.I.C. barracks, now Marron's Pharmacy.
Reproduced from "Le Chéile" by kind permissionHome