We were down to the bare bones for our Amateur Cup game against Major Division high fliers Glasnevin FC. Due to unavailability for one reason or another we faced into our biggest challenge of the season with only eleven players and not a substitute in sight! The tactics from the outset had to be defend in numbers and hit on the break when possible. The Major Division outfit started as if they meant business, and attacked from the outset. We found our feet after 5 minutes and possibly should have been 2-0 up within 15 minutes. A good effort from left winger Ciaran Kearney was followed quickly by a shot on target by John Hartnett, which the keeper held well.

But Villa didn't have to wait long for the break through. Some confusion in the Glasnevin defence gave Ciaran Kearney the chance to put us ahead and he made no mistake this time. 1-0 to the underdogs, and Glasnevin were not happy! Soon after their number 11 had a rasping drive from all of 30 yards which was bound for the top corner until Mark Hyland intervened with a spectacular one handed save, tipping the ball over the crossbar. Then came a period of sustained pressure by Glasnevin, they won 5 or 6 corners in quick succession, but stout Villa defence meant that we held onto our slender one goal lead until half time.

Glasnevin started the second half in the same manner as they finished the first, all out attack, but again the Villa rear guard held firm.
We were getting very little time on the ball, but our midfield and forwards chased everything and gave nothing up for dead, and we were rewarded for our constant pressure when the ball again broke to Ciaran Kearney 35 yards from goal, he beat his marker and was in on goal with only the 'keeper to beat. This he duly did by clipping the ball delightfully over the diving goalie, 2-0 - this was unbeliveble!!

Unfortunately, the lead didn't last long as Glasnevin attacked straight away. Their number 10 cut in from the left hand side and hit a shot which was too hot for Hylo to keep out, even though he did get a good hand on the ball. Game on again.

They were getting increasingly anxious and brought on a couple of substitutes to freshen their team up. Number 15, built like a tank but went down like a fairy in the box when challenged by Colbert - penalty?? the ref gave an indirect free kick inside the area, which Gerry Shanley charged down.

Once again our resolute defending and 100% committment bore fruit, because about 15 minutes from time the ball fell to Logie who beat his man and the 'keeper to make it 3-1. Now all we had to do was hang on for the final whistle. A couple of magnificant headed clearances from Dave O'Reilly and a last ditch tackle from the "doc" meant that their spectacular last minute goal didn't make any difference as the final whistle blew.

I can honestly say that I do not remember a game where everyone gave 100% for the full 90 minutes, it must be something to do with the new Manager...!!!!

Man of the Match: Dave O'Reilly - didn't miss a tackle all game and some fantastic defensive headers.

17th February 2002 - Amateur Cup - Albert College Park

Opponents - Glasnevin FC (5th in AFL Major Division)
Team: Mark Hyland, David O'Reilly, Alan Arkins, Colbert Lynch, Mark McCormack, Billy Treacy, John Hartnett, Gerry Shanley, Ciaran Kearney, John O'Reilly, Michael Logan.