The Parish of Lisdowney

You can also find some articles relevant to parish history if you go to the History Projects section and follow the link to Local History.

Aharney Church Barony Church Archerstown Church
Anker's Island Killeen Church Grangemacomb
Rathbeagh St. Catherine's Well Sheffin
Clontubrid Tifeaghna Balleen
Coolcashin Schools Lisdowney Church
Clontubrid Church Gathabawn Church  

The parish of Lisdowney is made up of

Aharney Church

The parish of Aharney was formerly known as Aghteyr. The church of Aghteyr was Barony Church in Ballyconra.

The church in Aharney was called St. Brigid’s church. It was built about the 16th century. The oldest tombstone there, is dated 1726.

St. Brigid’s Well was about 200 metres from the church. Pilgrimages were held there up to 200 years ago.

Aharney Cemetery photo
Rev. Delany plaque at Aharney.
Aharney Graveyard
Plaque to Rev. Delany, 1726

[Top of page]

Barony Church

Barony Church was once the parish church of Aghteyr. It dates back to at least the 13th century. The oldest tombstone there is dated 1635. It was the church of the Barony of Galmoy.

Many people believe that the last Mass said there was for soldiers leaving for the Battle of the Boyne in 1690.

Barony Churchyard photo. Grave slab at Barony Church.
Barony Churchyard, Ballyconra.
Grave slab at Barony Church.

[Top of page]

Archerstown Church

There was once a church in Archerstown. The field where it stood was called “Kilkennybeg”. This means the “little church of St. Canice”. There is no trace of the church now.

[Top of page]

Anker's Island

There was a tiny island in the Nore in Ballyconra. On the island there was a small cell or church and a little graveyard. It is believed that a hermit or anchorite once lived there.

There is a beautiful story about this hermit doing penance by standing in the river.

[Top of page]

Killeen Church

There was once a church at Killeen in Seskin. It was probably replaced by the church at Aharney. People were still buried there up to about 200 years ago.

[Top of page]


The parish of Grangemacomb was made up of the old parishes of Ardaloo, Kilcolman and Grangemacomb. The parish once belonged to Jerpoint Abbey. There is a small graveyard beside the church. Most of the church ruins were removed in the 1840’s. This was to build a tomb for the Stannard-Lanigan family.

Grange Churchyard photo.
Stannard Family Tomb at Grange.
Grange Church.
Tomb at Grange.

[Top of page]


The church of Rathbeagh was the Church of St. Catherine. It is believed that there was a monastery there before the church. The church was knocked about 300 years ago. It was replaced by a Protestant church. The Protestant church is in ruins for about 150 years. There are tombstones dating back to 1613.

Near the church is “Poll Leabhair”. There is a story that the Holy Book from the church was thrown into Poll Leabhair when the church was knocked.

Rathbeagh Churchyard photo
Archway at Rathbeagh Church.
Rathbeagh Church and Graveyard.
Archway at Rathbeagh

[Top of page]

St. Catherine’s Well

St. Catherine’s Well is near Rathbeagh church. A Pattern was held there on June 24th each year. The Pattern ended in the early 1800s.

[Top of page]


The church of Sheffin stood on the hill between Clontubrid and Tifeaghna. There is no trace of it left now. The graveyard was used to bury unbaptised children in the early 1800s.

[Top of page]


The ancient church of Clontubrid was just below the present churchyard. The patron saint was St. Fiachra. There was a holy well here and a Well House over it. Most of the Well House was destroyed in the early 1800s. It was reconstructed by Fr. Dowling in the 1920s.

Well House at Clontubrid, 19th century drawing. Well House at Clontubrid photo.
Well House at Clontubrid, early 19th Century.
Well House at Clontubrid as it is today.

[Top of page]


Tifeaghna means the house or church of Fiachra. The church probably replaced the ancient church of Sheffin. The ruins of Tifeaghna church have disappeared. Tombstones in the graveyard date back to 1722.

Tifeaghna Cemetery photo.
Tifeaghna Cemetery.

[Top of page]


There was once a church in Balleen. It was near the castle and was probably a chapel for the castle. There was no graveyard with the church.

Balleen Church ruins photo.
Ruins of Balleen Church, near the Castle.

[Top of page]


The church of Coolcashin is mentioned in the ancient Annals as early as 844. The church was supposed to have been raided and burnt in that year. The Graveyard contained slabs inscribed with crosses that date back to the 13th century.

There was a holy well near the church. The patron saint of the church was St. Mainchin (or St.Munchin?)

Coolcashin Cemetery photo. Coolcashin Well photo.
Graveyard at Coolcashin.
Well near the Graveyard.

[Top of page]


100 years ago there were schools at Clone, Balleen, Creenkill, Lisdowney and Ballyconra.

Creenkill N.S. pupils, 1930.
Balleen N.S. pupils, 1928 photo.
Pupils of Creenkill N.S., 1930.
Pupils of Balleen N.S., 1928.

[Top of page]

Lisdowney Church

Lisdowney church was opened about 1840. It replaced a chapel which stood where the present church gate is.

There was an earlier chapel about 300 metres up the Knockmannon road. The field is still called the “Priest’s Garden”. The chapel closed about 1790.

Lisdowney Church photo.
Lisdowney Church c.1980, photo.
St. Brigid's Church, Lisdowney.
St, Brigid's Church, Lisdowney, 1980.

[Top of page]

Clontubrid Church

Clontubrid Church was opened about 1841. It replaced a thatched chapel about 200 metres north of the present church.

Clontubrid Church interior.
Clontubrid Church interior, 1960's.
St. Fiachra's Church, Clontubrid.
St. Fiachra's Church in the 1960's.

[Top of page]

Gathabawn Church

Gathabawn church was opened about 1839. It replaced an older chapel and was built beside it.

Gathabawn Church photo.
Gathabawn Church interior.
St. Munchin's Church, Gathabawn.
Inside of St. Munchin's Church.

[Top of page]

Sunset on Second Millennium at Grange.

Sunset on the Second Millennium
at Grange Church.
December 31st 1999

[Top of page]

Back to Religion Page