- The old school in Crowenstown was reduced to rubble on 6th December 1989.
- The school was 148 years old. Children were being taught in it for 127 years from 1841 – 1968. It was one of the first primary schools in Ireland
- Most people who attended the school were sad that it was knocked down.
- There were two teachers there at one time, Margaret O’ Brien and Elizabeth O’ Brien who were sisters. They lived upstairs in the old school.
- There was no playground in the school so the children played on the road.
- The pupils had to bring a sod of turf or a stick everyday to keep the fire going.
- The rubble of the old school is buried underground. Today there is hardly a trace of the old school.