Douglas GAA Club
Much of the items covered in this section were copied from the 1987 Douglas GAA publication "Douglas - 100 Years of GAA" written and edited by Brendan Larkin to commemorate the clubs 100th anniversary. My thanks to Brendan for the permission to use this fantastic record of the clubs activities. In the book there are many fascinating newspaper reports and many pictures of teams from the past. Maybe these will be copied in the time as a further exercise. Since 1987 there have been many more highlights both at adult and under-age level. Hopefully the gaps can be filled in the months ahead.
"Douglas, a chapelry and village in the parish of Carrigaline, barony of Cork, 2 1/2 miles south-east of the city of Cork, Co. Cork, Munster. The district included in the chapelry as the northern division of Carrigaline parish; it is watered eastward by the Douglas rivulet, it presents that singularly beautiful contour, and richly embellished dress for which the whole tract along the Lower Lee, and especially between Cork and Passage is celebrated. Population in 1841 was 845. Houses amounted to 147."
Extract from "Parliamentary Gazette of Ireland", 1844-45.
Douglas is now a sprawling suburb of Cork City with over 20,000 people. This growth has occurred at the phenomenal rate in the past 30 years.
In a book entitled "Popular Songs of Ireland" by Thomas Croston Croker and published in 1839, reference is made to the game of hurling played on the banks of the Owenabue. Further evidence of hurling being played in Douglas can be found in Jack Powers book "A story of champions" published in 1941. In that book, it states that Douglas were involved in the draw for the Cork County senior hurling championship as far back as 1887, with Douglas drawn against Ballinhasig.
In 1888 the County Board introduced the idea of dividing the county into divisions and the City consisted of the following teams who were dawn against each other in the first round of the senior hurling championship : Blackrock V St. Marys; St. Finbarrs 2nds V Greenmount; St. Finbarrs 1sts V SS Peter and Pauls; Douglas V Tower Street. Tower Street defeated Douglas and went on to win the county final.
In the early part of the twentieth century the Douglas club was active in the division but they eventually faded out during the first world war. In 1918 a new club appeared called Castletreasure, and were to have reasonable success. Indeed they were the first club to bring a county title to Douglas when they won the county intermediate hurling championship of 1922. The club included a number of players from the old Douglas club. Among these were Andrew OSullivan, Christy OSullivan, Christy Lyons, Jer OSullivan and Dan Hartnett. The Castletreasure club went out of existence in 1926.
There was no club in the parish for the next few years. In 1931, Jimmy Sunderland became secretary of the St. Columbas Hall, a regular meeting place for young men that provided billiards and snooker facilities. (The Hall is still in existence today just down from the Fingerpost.) With Jimmys prompting a new club was formed to be called after the parish, St. Columbas. The team colours were black with a single green band around the middle. Entrance fee was one shilling and a weekly subscription of one old penny. At the A.G.M. in 1938 held at the Old Girls National School next to the Catholic Church, Sean ODubhann proposed that the name of the club be changed to Douglas Hurling and Football Club.
During the 1940s and 1950s the committee found it difficult to field teams. It was often said that the club only affiliated teams to keep the club going.
County Junior Football Title, 1962
The establishment of an active under-age committee in the mid 50s resulted in an upturn in football which culminated in victories in premier competitions. In 1957 the under 15 team made history in winning the league and championship and as juveniles in 1958 repeated the performance. These superb successes gave the club a crop of outstanding young players and they were destined to bring much honour to Douglas in the coming years. In 1960 and 1961 Douglas were defeated by St. Finbarrs in the championship. So in 1962 when they were drawn against them in the first round things did not look too good.
Training was well attended early in the year and when the sides met at Ballinlough on Sunday June 6, a very big crowd had gathered to witness what proved to be a marvellous contest. Douglas had gained that badly needed experience over the previous two years and it was to proved invaluable. They led 1-5 to 0-2 at half-time, and despite being pegged back to two points with ten minutes to go, on this occasion, they werent going to be caught. The transfer of Johnny Clifford to midfield proved a decisive move and when Pat Kelleher lofted a free into the Barrs goalmouth, Eamonn Carroll was on hand to bang home a goal. Douglas took full control from there on, and amid joyous scenes, they defeated St. Finbarrs 2-10 to 1-5 to record a famous victory.
Douglas went on to win the City championship against St.Vincents and went on to represent the division in the county competition. Douglas played Adrigole and Canovee to reach the final against Midleton and this game was fixed for Riverstown on Sunday, December 3. Support for the team was unprecedented. 12 buses were used to transport supporters from the village to Glanmire. In the final Midleton were completely outclassed.
Five Glorious Years of Football - 1970 to 1974
In 1969 Douglas were defeated by Passage in the final of the championship in a replay, having earned the draw through a great point from team captain Sean OShea with the last kick of the game. Douglas got some compensation for that championship defeat when they beat Passage in the McSweeney Cup and went on to reach the final, and a meeting with arch rivals, Mayfield. Douglas scored a marvellous 2-12 to 0-9 win over the northsiders, a victory that heralded a new era for football in Douglas. The club had secured the services of a number of great players in Tim "Gunner" OLeary, Tim OConnell, Austin Steward and Neilius Lehane (the last three were members of the Presentation Brothers Religious order) and they played major roles in the clubs football fortunes.
The "Gunner" was appointed trainer of the team, and his efforts were justly rewarded. In 1970 Douglas reached the junior championship final against their 1969 conquerors, Passage, and in a great game played at Ballinlough on Sunday, October 6th, Douglas scored an emphatic 2-8 to 0-9 victory over the Passage lads. Douglas received a setback on the morning of the game when one of the forwards, Pat OConnor was ruled out of the game with an eye infection. Brendan Larkin was drafted in as a replacement and was to play a major role in the teams victory. He scored six splendid points from play and gave the Passage defence a hard time. Goals from Tim OLeary and Austin Stewart gave Douglas an interval lead of 2-2 to 0-5 and with Larkin in rare form in corner forward, Douglas took the title in glorious style. Team captain, Cathal Toal, gratefully accepted the cup from Mr Dan Murphy, Division chairman.
The Douglas team was Davie Bray, Sean OShea, Fred Humphries, Wallie Clarke, John Cummins, Neilius Lehane, Pat Holland, Cathal Toal, Joe OSullivan, Ned Flynn, Tom OLeary, Austin Stewert, Brendan Larkin, Tim OConnell and Tom McCarthy.
In the county Douglas were defeated by Newmarket. Douglas went on to win the league again defeating Passage.
With practically the same team in 1971, Douglas were fancied to retain their title and early successes against St. Nicholas and Delaneys, confirmed their rating. However in the semi-final against Bishopstown, Douglas came a cropper, losing 1-9 to 0-6. In 1972 Douglas were defeated by Ballinure in the championship. They did manage to retain their league title with a trilling victory over Nemo Rangers. With ten minutes to go, and down to 14 players, Douglas trailed by five points. But points from Cyril Kavanagh and Donie Harris (2) and a goal from John Cummins gave Douglas the lead with time almost up. Nemo managed an equaliser to send the game into extra time. Douglas lasted the pace better and in the end won their second league title in a row.
Douglas got back on the winning trail in 1973. The junior footballers regained the championship title, retained the league and won the 1972 McSweney Cup and lost the 1973 decider. The championship victory was achieved by a 1-12 to 3-4 victory over St. Finbarrs and it was very sweet indeed. It was , however, tinged with sadness because the clubs most popular senior citizen, Donal Downey, died during the game, and wasnt to see the team winning, something he always cherished. In the county Douglas beat Castlehaven in the first round only to be defeated by Mitchelstown in the semi-final.
The one regrettable aspect of this five year run of victories was that Douglas failed to win a county title.
Five Hurling Finals in Seven Years.
The success at junior B level in 1973 and greater attention to under-age hurling paid off handsomely in the 13 year up to 1986. Douglas reached the final in 1978 and again in 1979 and yet again in 1981 but on each occasion were defeated although we did manage our first MacCurtain Cup win along the way. The 1978 defeat was at the hands of our great rivals Mayfield who won 3-9 to 2-5. Our team was - Cyril Kavanagh, Eddie Buckley, Alf Cooney, Der McCarthy, Maurice Kelly, Michael ORegan, Sean Corkery, Jim OMahony, Bart Cremin, Pat Holland, Noel Sisk, Tommy Walsh, Michael Lawless, Bob Thornhill, Eddie Forde, Subs used were Ollie Tobin and John White. Mayfield went on to win the county title. In the MacCurtain Cup Douglas were defeated by Redmonds on a 1-15 to 0-9 scoreline.
Coming back with greater determination in 1979, Douglas reached the final of the championship again but this time it was Na Piarsaigh who upset the apple-cart. Two years later Douglas reached the city final again but as on the two previous occasions, had to settle for runners-up spot, this time to St. Finbarrs. This was a final that Douglas literally threw away. Leading by six points midway through the second half and well in control, one moment of lapse of concentration proved fatal. It let Barrs in for a goal and from then on we fell apart, finally going down 1-12 to 1-9.
Douglas reached the 1983 junior hurling championship in tremendous style. It was a great year for the code in Douglas with the B side also winning their championship in trilling fashion. The Na Piarsaigh club provided the opposition in both finals which were played over the weekend of September 10 and 11.
Few people gave Douglas much chance in the A grade final, as the Piarsaigh side which included Cork senior star Tony OSullivan and a string of highly talented young players. Douglas went on to record a famous victory giving a truly superb display winning on a scoreline of 4-13 to 3-10. On the previous night the B side had won their championship, defeating Na Piarsaigh by 2-10 to 1-8 in a replay.
Douglas and Na Piarsaigh were to meet on two more occasions in 1983. In the semi-final of the MacCurtain Cup the following Saturday after the Championship triumph, both sides met at Ballinlough in a downpour and once again Douglas confirmed their superiority over the northsiders winning 3-12 to 1-4. Douglas were fortunate to secure the services of Pat Harrington for the 1983 season and he certainly proved an invaluable asset. He played centre-back and was to make a major contribution to the clubs hurling fortunes.
Both side met for the third time in the final of the league again at Ballinlough. Douglas has yet to win the A league and made a determined effort. However Piarsaighs had other ideas and with time ticking away they were in front by a point, when centre-back Pat Harrington, called on the selectors to move him nearer goal in the dying seconds. It proved a good move as he notched the equaliser with the last puck to send the game to a replay.
The replay was eagerly awaited and the large crowd were treated to yet another epic struggle. On this occasion it looked like Douglas were going to make a clean sweep of the junior titles when they led by two points with time almost up. It was a most dangerous lead. A weak clearance from defence was snapped up by a Piarsaigh forward and his shot from 40 yards found the net to deny Douglas their first league title. Douglas were bitterly disappointed not to have won their first title but had to wait just one year to fulfil that dream.
In 1984 Douglas reached the final for the second time in a row and on this occasion Glen Rovers provided the opposition. The Glen regraded from intermediate the previous year and so their junior side was the second team. Once again the punters gave Douglas no chance again a potentially star studded Glen side. But Douglas werent going to surrender their title without a fight. Training was stepped up with the full panel of players giving all they had. The selectors realising that it was going to take a great effort to retain the title, took the players up the "Bogs" to Venon Mount (a world motor-cycle scramble took place on these hills which challenged even the best riders on the steep slopes). Douglas went on to defeat the Glen in the championship by 2-15 to 2-4. They went on to record their first victory in the league beating Ballinora in the final by 3-12 to 3-8. In the MacCurtain Cup Douglas defeated St. Finbarrs to make it a grand slam of hurling titles for the village.
In 1985 the club regraded to Intermediate for the first time in 30 years. Since then the club has had some successes but have yet to achieve that county title to gain promotion to the senior ranks. Hopefully this will happen over the next few years with the crop of talent now emerging on the scene. This year the club played Tracton in the first round of the championship and recorded a fine victory. They now face Ballymartle, who they beat last year in what I feel was the best ever Douglas performance, in the next round.
Intermediate Football County 1997
After the successes in the early seventies the club regraded to Intermediate in 1975. County honours were gained in the league on a few occasions but we had to wait until 1997 before the county championship was won against Castletownbere. In that season Douglas reached the league final only to be defeated by Valley Rovers. However in the championship they were not to be denied. The season ran late and training had to be switched to neighbouring Ballygarvan and Bishopstown under lights. With snow and ice on the pitches the players made huge sacrifices and in the final proved that the city club had come of age. A full article on this historic year will be available shortly.
So Douglas are back in the senior grade. Since 97 the club has won a number of Senior championship. This year the county board has reorganised the competition giving teams at least two games. Douglas played ODonovan Rossa in the preliminary round and were defeated but went on to defeat Ballincollig in the first round proper to set up a third round game against Bishopstown.
It is worth telling how the club got the present colours. In the early 1950s the club had only one set of jerseys between 4 teams and obviously this presented problems. Joe OReilly who was working in the Sunbeam at the time, brought to the committees attention that a set of jerseys had been returned from Dublin because they were not suitable. Joe thought this was a great opportunity to acquire a second set for the club. He bargained with his boss who wanted £20 for the set and eventually got them for £12. The colours are what we wear today.
The Playing Fields
When the club was reformed in 1931 one of the key objectives was to own our own field. Jimmy Sunderland, who founded the club, managed to obtain the use of a field from Mr Jerome Burke on an annual rent and this is the one nearest the club rooms on which we play today. In 1938, under the chairmanship of Eugene Barrett, the club finally succeeded in buying the ground. The area concerned was 4 acres 40 perches and the price paid was £275 plus £42/11/1 in fees to the Land Commission. This fee was repaid with many ventures including tournaments and letting it to the Inter-House Board. The loan was finally paid off in 1945. All those who had the courage and foresight to take this step are to be commended. (Today this land would fetch a few million pounds if it were put on the market - Jim would turn in his grave if he only knew how valuable an asset this was to become.)
As the playing numbers grew so also the pressure on the playing pitch. There were many attempts to buy additional fields in the locality but without success. While there was plenty of ground behind the main field it was very boggy. However along came the major land usage and transportation study (LUTS) and the idea of a ring road around the city was put forward. The Corporation and County Council began compulsory purchase of the land required for the road. As they developed the road they drained the surrounding land. The Douglas committee entered negotiations with the relevant bodies to buy some spare land and thanks to the skills of those involved, ably led by Matt Twomey, they succeeded in purchasing enough ground for a second full sized field right next to the main field. All this occurred in the 1980s. Extra top-soil was secured and the pitch raised by a few feet and drains were installed to give Douglas badly needed extra facilities.
The desire to have a modern pavilion with all the trimmings grew is stature in the 60s and 70s and in the autumn of 1972 the property, consisting of the house and grounds of An Grianain, were offered for sale. Due to the geographical location vis-à-vis our playing field and dressing rooms, it was imperative that the club should purchase the house and grounds. This we succeeded in doing and were trilled and proud of our new acquisition, but it was only then that the real battle was beginning. All the money had to be borrowed and coupled with the everyday running costs of the club, it was a heavy burden that faced the committee.
The commitment and enthusiasm of our members to the many fund-raising projects was phenomenal. Among the fund-raising schemes was the sale of timber blocks. The committee were fortunate to be given - free of charge - a number of trees in Calderwood Estate and as far away as Mayfield. These were felled, chopped into blocks and transported to Douglas and later sold on house-to-house basis around the parish. The camaraderie that existed during those bitter days of winter will never be forgotten.
In the early summer of 1975 we opened the doors of An Grianian to our members and although the space was limited, the enjoyment was savoured by all. So successful was the venture it soon became evident that the place was too small and so when it became known that a pre-fabricated building was for sale in Co. Limerick, we readily agree to purchase. The building belonged to the Ferenka Co. Ltd.. of Annacotty and consisted of 20 units. Having purchased the building, it was necessary to (a) remove all the fixtures and fittings and transport them to Douglas and (b) dismantle all the units, transport them to Douglas and re-erect the units there. It was a major undertaking of which so many of our members can be justifiably proud. It may be of interest to know that the commencement of this project was delayed for three weeks due to the much publicised Dr. Herrema kidnapping case. Dr. Herrema was a senior executive of Ferenka Ltd.
It will never be possible to appreciate fully the amount of work undertaken voluntarily at this time. The norm on successive Saturdays was that a fleet of cars would transport about 16 men to Limerick at early dawn and return late at night. Whilst all this activity was happening in Limerick it must be remembered that a further working party was busily engaged providing a concrete base for the building back in Douglas. Eventually the building was erected and proved an invaluable asset to the club and its members.
That Ferenka building lasted eight years during which many an enjoyable night was had. However such is the nature of pre-fab buildings that it began to deteriorate and it became necessary to replace it. After much deliberation the committee was given the go-ahead to build an ultra-modern pavilion costing in the region of £120,000. This was opened in 1982. The need for a recreational hall arose out of the success of the pavilion and this was opened in 1987. These facilities have proved a major contribution to the running costs of the club as well as offering our members and their friends a very comfortable location to meet and enjoy themselves.
The next achievement was the purchase and development of the second pitch as outlined earlier. In the mid-90s thoughts turned to putting winter facilities in place as the pavilion was being used for indoor hurling. It was decided to build a hall for indoor training. This was built adjacent to the car park and had a hurling alley attached to the gable wall. This was opened in October of 98 and was an immediate success.
Plans are now afoot to build a gymnasium and new dressing-rooms and the drawings are currently being prepared. While there is no official starting date it is likely to be built over the next twelve months.
From small beginnings the club has come a long way. I will now remember some of the many people who helped make the club what it is today. As always when you mention some people others will be left out. It would not be feasible to mention the countless numbers who worked for the club over the years.
While many people have contributed to this success one person has been behind all the developments since the initial purchase of An Grianian in 1972. That person is Matt Twomey, who was born in Waterfall and came to live in Douglas when he married. Matt had great vision and courage to take on the huge debts and had a great knack of getting people to work with him. This year, 2000, he stepped down as Chairman but I am sure he will be keeping a keen eye on future developments. His wife Kay must be thanked for her choice of family home as well as giving Matt the time to achieve so much for the good of the club and community. Matt as well as being a great administrator was a keen motivator to the hurling revival and his two sons, Tomas and Matthew, have played a huge part in the clubs recent success. Tomas won the All-Ireland feile skills competition in Wexford in 1986 and was a member of the Cork minor hurling team, something that must have made Matt a very proud parent.
Another long serving worker is Sean Downey. Sean has worked in many different positions within the club but is best known for his years as Secretary (over 30 years in total - a prisoner would get out for good behaviour in less time than that). He is married to Pauline Kelleher, whose father was a founder member of the St. Columbas club in 1931 and her brother John, Bill and Pat all played with the Douglas club. Pauline was a member of the camogie club in the 1960s and was one of those involved in reforming the current club in the early 70s.
Tom Cogan servered the G.A.A. in Douglas as secretary of the St. Columbas club for many years, as did his late brother Der. The Cogan family played a major role in promoting G.A.A. affairs in the parish. Tom was also a very skilful player and played with the divisional side Seandun for a number of years.
Liam Collins is regarded as one of the most gifted players of both codes. Affectionately known as "Sam", Liam was trainer of the under 15 and 16 teams that won premier grade football honours in 1957 and 1958, and was also a selector of the Junior hurling team that won the championship in 1984. Liam played under-age with St. Finbarrs at a time when Douglas had no under-age teams. Liam can still be seen in the pitch giving advice to the young lads. In the mid-90s he coached a group of players, including one girl, to win a novel skills competition in Kinsale.
The late Paddy Kidney
The late Paddy Kidney was one of three brothers who gave a lift-time of service to the Douglas G.A.A. Paddy served as club secretary for a period and was also a top class referee with the South-East Board. He was also an accomplished Irish dancer. He was chief mentor of a club under 15 team in 1970 which included Mick ORegan, Jim OMahony, Finbarr Kearney, Derry Holland and Der ORegan. (If you check out the various committees for 2000 you will see all these are involved at the highest level of the club - Paddys could not have foreseen the impact of his work in those formative years.)
The late Jim OShea
The late Jim OShea will forever be remembered as the trainer of the junior football team that won county honours in 1962, but he had other marvellous skills as well. A great man to repair football and hurleys, he served as club chairman for a number of years and was chiefly responsible for the building of the present dressing rooms. Jim was a native of Ardgroom, Co.Cork. Jims sons Sean and Jimmy and daughters Catherine and Mary played with the club, the girls with the camogie club.
The late Frank Clarke
The late Frank Clarke served as chairman of the Douglas club for 2 years (1965 and 1966), during which the club won its first Junior Hurling Championship title. A great man for the hurling, Frank was a great motivator and had a bucketful of stories about the game. His son Gerard, was centre-field on the team that won the championship in 1966.
The late Eugene Barrett
The late Eugene Barrett served as chairman of the St. Columbas club for 12 years. He was a playing member of the old Douglas club of the 1900s. He was club delegate to the County Board for many years. His efforts on behalf of the G.A.A. in Douglas are legendary and he helped enormously to clear the debt on the pitch in 1945. He too, was also one of these dedicated gaels who fought tooth and nail to keep the G.A.A. pitch for Gaelic games only.
The late Jack Dennehy
The late Jack Dennehys contribution to the G.A.A. in Douglas has been immense. One of three brothers to have played with Douglas, Jack was a fearless hurler. He was a great committee man and with Paddy Desmond, founded the very first under-age teams in Douglas back in the 1940s. Jack was a builder by profession and this proved a great help to the club. Never slow to lend a pound or two when needed, Jack Dennehy can take a great deal of credit for keeping the club going in difficult times.
The late Donal Downey
The late Donal Downey was , for years, the "Senior citizen" of the club and gave a life-time of service to the G.A.A. On occasions of dispute Donal was, as he said himself, "the one to throw oil on troubled waters". His two sons, John and Dan, were first class players.
Like Joe OReilly, Jack Sweeny was another who gave valuable service to the under-age section of the club in the early years. Jack served as club chairman, vice-chairman and treasurer and was a selector of the junior hurling team of 1966 which won the championship. A gifted man with his hands, "Sweeney" did trojan work for the G.A.A. in Douglas over many years.
Yet another of those dedicated men who helped the under-age in the 1950s. Tim Dineen served the G.A.A. in Douglas in a variety of capacities, but it was as club treasurer he is best remembered. Tim always has a few pounds when the need arose, and on most occasions it had to be his own, such was the poor financial state of the club in the early years. A trojan worker, Tim Dineen must be extremely pleased with the success of his beloved club.
The late Jim Daly
The late Jim Daly was a very committed member of the club and in particular was deeply involved with the St. Leagues. He served as County Board delegate and hurling selector over the years.
Eddie, while still only in his early forties, has given a lifetime of commitment to the club. He is currently the clubs secretary and works full-time promoting the games in the local schools. His work with the youth of the parish is above and beyond the call of duty.
Dermot Keanes involvement with the G.A.A in Douglas goes back to the early 50s. He has served as chairman, vice-chairman, treasurer and more lately as registrar but it is as an under-age official he is best remembered. "Councillor" Keane as he is affectionately known, Dermot was never slow to volunteer to drive a player any distance on behalf of the club. In recent years Dermot has organised many successful foreign trips for the club members.
The late Billy Kidney
The late Billy Kidney played hurling and football with Douglas teams for more that 30 years. Billy proved much information for the history book on the G.A.A.. He took great delight in the clubs success in 1966 and manys the time he could be heard "bellowing" at players "mark your man" over in Ballinlough. In later years Billy did marvellous work in the club pavilion and was part of the "Ferenka" working party. Sadly he died before the 1984-85 victories and the building we have today. He would have been extremely proud.
Fred Humphries has been involved with the G.A.A for close on 50 years. As a player he was a member of the 1962 team and on many of the other successful teams up to the late 70s. Fred has held many positions within the club including a period as Chairman. Fred has been the delegate to the City Division for many years. His wife Phylis was a member of the camogie team in the 60s.
Brendan Larkin, like Fred, has given a life-time of commitment to the Douglas club. As a player he won a minor medal with Cork and went on to play Under 21. He played on the 62 team and on many other teams. His exploits are mentioned in many of the articles in this history. Brendan has worked for the Examiner for many years and now writes full time on his great passion, gaelic games. His history of Douglas was a work of love and will serve as a reminder to all those coming along.
Nancy McAuliffe is one of those women who have given great service to the club. Nancy is still very active in the social committee and runs the weekly card drive. She has been involved in much of the social events run by the club over the past 30 years and a member of the social committee.
The late Joe OReilly
The late Joe OReilly was one of those gifted people who had a way with young people. He is credited with introducing under-age games to Douglas. He was an outstanding Club treasurer and todays club owes him a great deal, for having the courage to "fight" the establishment back in the 1950s who didnt want the youth. "Reilly" was a great organiser and his ideas and method for raising badly needed finance are legendary.
Liam Bennett has been an enormous influence on the G.A.A. in Douglas for over 60 years. He served as President, Chairman, Vice-Chairman and Secretary, and is extremely proud of the fact that it was during his term of office as Chairman, that the club won the County football honours (1962). .
As you can see from the list of committee members, there are still many people working within the club. Obviously I cannot mention all these but in an age where voluntary workers are hard to find the Douglas club is very fortunate to have so many dedicated people.
This history only touches the bare surface of the past life of the club. In over 100 years the GAA club has gone through many different phases. The thousands of people who have gone through the pitches and look back with happy thoughts on their time in Douglas will testify to the saying that "you are only a stranger in Douglas once".
To all those who have had any part in the clubs past I hope this short history has brought back some memories. To those wishing to find out a little about the club, I hope it gives you some insight into the proud tradition of the club. As always the club is open to all newcomers to the area.
As stated in the introduction this history mainly covers the period up to 1987. The intervening years have been equally busy and I hope that the story will be written in the coming months.