In the early 18th century the linen industry was established in
Douglas and the "Mills" played a major part in the village life for over two
hundred years. As far back as 1726 the Douglas sailcloth industry was active. Rope making
was another key industry at that time. The Mills were still producing cloth into the
1970s and many of the clubs players were employed there. The old St. Patricks
Mill site is now a thriving industrial park while the old Morroghs Mill in
Donnybrook, which only closed in 1971, has many small firms working out of the premises
and surrounding compound.