"AGHADOE,a parish, in the barony of MAGONIHY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER; containing, with part of the town of Killarney, 4796 inhabitants. This place was formerly the head of a bishop's see, merged from time immemorial into that of Ardfert, which, with Limerick, forms the bishoprick of Limerick, Ardfert and Aghadoe.
The parish is situated chiefly on the road from Killarney to Milltown and Tralee, and partly on that from Killarney to Cork: it comprehends within its limits the island of Inisfallen, and part of the Lakes of Killarney, and comprises 17,720 staute acres, as apploted under the tithe act."
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland by Samuel Lewis (1837)]
Note: The Civil Parish of Aghadoe ceased to be used for census purposes in the mid nineteenth century when District Electoral Divisions (DEDs) were introduced.
The Civil Parish of Aghadoe was split between the following DEDs:
Aghadoe DED Crohane, Curragh, Gortaree, Knoppoge, Nunstown, Parkovonear townlands
Ballyhar DED Aghacureen
Coom DED Leamyglissane East townland
Headfort DED Annaghilymore, Barraduff, Cools, Headfort, Knockeenagowan, Knockysheehan, Lisbabe, Raheen, Rossacroo, Shronedarragh townlands
Killarney DED Aghalee More, Ballydowny, Caher, Cleeny, Coolcorcoran, Coolgarriv, Dooneen, Dromdoohig More, Farranaspig, Fossa, Gortnacarriga, Gortroe, Groin, Killeen, Knockasarnet, Knockeenduff, Lackabane, Scarteen townlands and the unoccupied islands of Brown or Rabbit Island, Inisfallen Island, Lamb Island, Heron Island
Killarney Rural DED Bunrower, Cahernane, Kilbreanbeg townlands
Killarney Urban DED Knockreer
Knocknahoe DED Knockanaroor
Lahard DED Ards, Dromin, Gortacollopa, Gortreagh, Grenagh, Kilalee, Lismongane, Maulagh, Pallis townlands
Muckross DED Ballinlough, Cullinagh, Gortadirra, Tomies East, West and Wood townlands
The old church of Aghadoe is situated on a hilltop and amid a graveyard, and commands a fine view of the Killarney area. According to tradition this was once a cathedral, but this is now generally discounted. This church has been in ruins for centuries, and is a national monument.
The Church of Ireland built a new church half a mile further down the hill in 1842, which is now out of use. From 1909 to 1922 Aghadoe was united to Knockane, but it has since been part of Killarney Union. The Church fot the Union is in Killarney town (St. Mary's).
The main part of the Civil Parish was part of the Roman Catholic Parish of Killarney until 1857, when it was seperated to form the Parish of Fossa. The Church of Christ, the Prince of Peace is on the Killorglin - Killarney road.
The detached (Headfort) part of the Civil Parish is now incorporated in the Roman Catholic Parish of Rathmore.
The Church of Ireland registers for baptisms start in 1838, and for marriages in 1840. These registers remain in local custody.
Killarney Roman Catholic parish registers for both baptisms and marriages begin in 1792.
Selected Marriages from the Killarney RC parish register 1792-1880- transcribed by Shannon Courtney and Bridget Smith.
After 1857 the registers for Fossa parish should be consulted.
From 1863 Aghadoe was part of the Killarney Registration District. See the Registration Districts page.