"AGHAVALLEN, (or Aghavalah), a parish in the barony of Iraghticonnor, in the county of Kerry, province of Munster, Ireland, 6 miles to the S.W. of Tarbert. It is situated on the river Shannon; near the road from Tralee to Limerick, and includes the village of Ballylongford and Carrigafoyle Island. The O'Connors had a castle here, which was their principal seat, the bastions and part of the wall of which are still remaining. The barony and castle were forfeited by them in 1666, and were settled upon Trinity College, Dublin. Two-thirds of the land are arable, the rest is mountain, with pasture and bog. A brown building-stone is obtained here. A large traffic in potatoes and turf, oyster dredging, and fishing are the chief employments of the people. The living is an impropriate vicarage. There are several pleasant seats in the parish.