"AGLISH, a parish in the barony of MAGUNIHY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (S. E.) from Milltown, on the north-east side of the river Laune, and on the road from Killarney to Milltown; containing 1,091 inhabitants. It comprises 4,924 statute acres, as applotted under the tithes act."
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland by Samuel Lewis (1837)]
The parish burial ground surrounds the ruins of the ancient parish church of Aglish. Grid Reference: V 907 972.
Note: The Civil Parish of Aglish ceased to be used for census purposes in the mid nineteenth century when District Electoral Divisions (DEDs) were introduced.
Aglish is now contained in parts of five DEDs:
The Church of Ireland had a parish church built in 1823 next to the ruins of the ancient church in the parish burial ground. This was abandoned in 1871, when the parish was united to Kilcolman.
The united Roman Catholic parish of Molahiffe and Aglish (which also includes Kilninare and Kilcredane) has been in existence since the early nineteenth century. Around the year 1872 the parish was renamed Firies. A church was built at Ballyhar - sometimes called Aglish church. The other church in the parish is at Firies and has someimes been called Molahiffe.
The Church of Ireland parish registers are lost
The Firies (originally Molahiffe and Aglish) Catholic Registers start in 1830
for both marriages and baptisms, but are in in poor condition with pages
The registers remain in the custody of the parish priest, although microfilm copies are at the National Archives of Ireland. Written permission from the Bishop of Kerry is required to view these records.
From 1863 Aglish was part of the Killarney Registration District.
See the Registration Districts page.
The District Electoral Divisions listed above are used for civil registration.