"ARDFERT, a decayed borough and market-town and a parish, in the barony of CLANMAURICE, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 5 miles (N. N. W.) of Tralee, and 144½ (S. W. by W.) from Dublin; containing 3,585 inhabitants, of which number, 717 are in the town.
This is a declining town, without either trade or manufacture, and presents only the appearence of a village.
It has always been considered a borough by prescription, there being no charter of incorporation on record. "
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland by Samuel Lewis (1837)]
Note: The Civil Parish of Ardfert ceased to be used for census purposes in the mid nineteenth century when District Electoral Divisions (DEDs) were introduced.
Ardfert comprises the DEDs of Ardfert and Tubrid. The detached townland of Kilfenora is part of Ballynahaglish DED.
The Church of Ireland cathedral was destroyed by fire in 1649, and remains as a roofless shell. Part of the cathedral was kept in repair as a parish church. It was reroofed in 1831, and continued in use until the late nineteenth century. Ardfert was united to Tralee in 1922.
The Roman Catholic parish of Ardfert has churches at Ardfert and Kilmoyley. Kilfenora is in Spa parish.
The Church of Ireland parish registers are lost.
The registers for the Catholic parish start in 1819 (births),and 1822 (marriages). The years 1846 - 1859 are missing.
From 1863 Ardfert was part of the Tralee Registration District. See the Registration Districts page.