GENUKI Home page
County Kerry Kerry   Contents Contents


"BALLINCUSLANE, a parish, in the barony of TRUGHENACKMY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 4½ miles (S. E. by S.) from Castleisland; containing 4,700 inhabitants. The parish, which is situated on the west bank of the river Blackwater, and on the confines of the county of Cork, is intersected by the old and new roads from castleisland into that county, the latter being the road to King-William's-Town now in progress at the expense of the Government. It comprises 37,118 staute acres as applotted under the tithe act.
At Ardnagragh are the ruins of Desmond's chapel, with a burial-ground attached, now called Kilnananima; here the remains of The Great Earl of Desmond (who was slain in 1583) were interred. Near this spot are the remains of Kilmurry castle, which was taken by Col. Phaire, of Cork, in 1650: this and the castles of Kilcushnan and Bally-Mac-Adam, sit within half a mile of each other, were inhabited by three brothers named Fitzgerald, of the Desmond family, between whom such enmity subsisted that none of them would suffer the others to pass unmolested through his lands."
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland by Samuel Lewis (1837)]


Note: The Civil Parish of Ballinacuslane ceased to be used for census purposes in the mid nineteenth century when District Electoral Divisions (DEDs) were introduced.

Ballinacuslane comprises the entire the DEDs of:

And parts of the following DEDs:

Return to top of page

Church History

In the Church of Ireland, Ballincuslane was united to Castleisland, Dysert and Killeentierna until 1836, when it became a seperate parish once more, with the name Ballycushlane. There was no church, and services were held in a room in Derreen house. The parish was reunited to Castleisland in 1872.

In the Roman Catholic church, Ballincuslane was included in the parish of Castleisland. In 1868 the northern part of the Civil Parish (roughly comprising Kilmurry, Mount Eagle and Crinny DEDs) was taken into the new parish of Brosna. In 1916 this northern area was placed in the new parish of Knocknagoshel. A new church was built at Cordal, under the Castleisland parish.

Return to top of page

Church Records

There are no surviving parish registers for the Church of Ireland parish of Ballycushlane.

The Castleisland Catholic Registers start in 1823 for marriages and 1822 for baptisms.
The registers remain in the custody of the parish priest, although microfilm copies are at the National Archives of Ireland. Written permission from the Bishop of Kerry is required to view these records.

Return to top of page

Census Substitutes

A transcript of Griffiths Valuation for two townlands is available on Rootsweb's Kerry site.

Civil Registration

From 1863 Ballinacuslane was included in the Tralee Registration District. See the Registration Districts page.
For Registration purposes the District Electoral Divisions listed above are used.

Return to top of page


A Map showing the Townlands of Ballinacuslane from Rootsweb
Return to top of page

[Last updated: 12-Jul-2004 12:40 PM - Laurence Jones]