"BALLINVOHIR, a parish, in the barony of CORKAGUINEY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 12 miles (E.) of Dingle; containing 2,924 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the bay of Dingle, and on the road from Dingle, and on the road from Dingle to Tralee, comprises 13,190 staute acres, as applotted under the tithe act.
The mountain of Lack, from the summit of which is obtained a panoramic view of the various mountains on the opposite shore, is within its limits; and at the foot of Acres mountain is a small portion of the parish, which is entirely detached from the rest. A new road, about three English miles in length, is about to be constructed from Inchbridge in this parish, through Glanaheera, to the mail coach road from Dingle to Tralee, now in use."
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland by Samuel Lewis (1837)]
Ballinvoher burial ground is situated in the townland of Rathduff (Grid Reference - Q 612 037), on the site of the medieval parish church. There is another graveyard surrounding the ruins of Inch medieval church (Grid Reference Q 654 013).
Note: The Civil Parish of Ballinvoher ceased to be used for census purposes in the mid nineteenth century when District Electoral Divisions (DEDs) were introduced.
Ballinvoher forms part of five DEDs:
The ancient parish church of Ballinvoher was situated in Rathduff townland. After the Reformation it passed to the Church of Ireland and was in use until the 17th Century. It had been abandoned by the nineteenth, and the stones reused for local gravemarkers and bulidings. Protestant worship moved to the adjacent parish church of Ballynacourty. There was also a church at Inch, but there is little known of this establishment. There seems to have been a tradition that the Inch area was once a seperate parish known as Lack.
In the Roman Catholic church, the parishes of Ballinvoher, Ballinacourty and Kilgobban were united by the nineteenth century. The parish seems to have been known by various combinations of these names until named Annascaul about 1850. Churches were built at Annascaul and Inch (sometimes called Lack)in the old Ballinvoher parish area, with another at Camp in Kilgobban.
The Catholic Registers for the parish record:
From 1863 Ballinvoher (with the exception of Fahan and Glanfahan townlands)
was part of the Dingle Registrar General's
District, and the Annascaul Registrar's District.
See the Registration Districts page.
A Transcript of
Marriages registered in the Annascaul District 1864-1870 is
available at Rootsweb's Kerry site, as is a transcript for
Births registered in 1864, 1865, 1873 and 1874.
Fahan and Glenfahan formed part of the Ventry Registrar's District.