"BROSNA, a parish, in the barony of TRUGENACKMY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER 10 miles (N. by E.) from Castleisland; containing 2,168 inhabitants. It is situated on the small river Clydagh and on the confines of the counties of Limerick and Cork, and comprises 18,013 statute acres, as applotted by the tithe acts.
A new line of road, about eight miles in length, is now in progress, at the expense of Col. Drummond and C. Fairfield,Esq., extending from the bridge over the Clydagh (an arch of 60 feet span), on the new road from Listowel to Newmarket, and passing through this and the adjoining parish of Ballincuslane to the village of Ardnagrath, on the old mountain road from castleisland to Millstreet. It is in contemplation to extend this road to Scortaglin, to form a junction with the new Government road from Castleisland to King-William's-town, by which the surrounding country will be greatly improved."
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland by Samuel Lewis (1837)]
Note: The Civil Parish of Brosna ceased to be used for census purposes in the mid nineteenth century when District Electoral Divisions (DEDs) were introduced.
Brosna comprises the DEDs of Brosna and Gneeves.
From 1863 Brosna was part of the Tralee Registration District. See the Registration Districts page.