"CLOGHANE, or CLAHANE, a parish, in the barony of CORKAGUINEY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER 6 miles (N.N.E.) from Dingle; containing 2722 inhabitants, of which number, 222 are in the village. This place is situated on St Brandon's bay on the western coast, and the parish is divided by part of the Connor range of hills into the northern and southern portions. In the former is St. Brandon's Hill, a mountain of considerable elevation, near the summit of which are the remains of an oratory or chapel, dedicated to St Brandon.
A small pier was erected by the late Fishery Board. The fishery is chiefly carried on in yawls and canoes; it affords employment during the season to 250 persons, who at other times are engaged in agriculture.
At Ballyguin is a coast-guard station; being one of those that constitute the district of Dingle. The village, which is near the shore of the bay, contains 43 houses, mostly thatched; and in it are situated the parochial church, a R.C. chapel, and a school.
The parish, including a detached portion called Lateeves, a very fertile tract of 889 acres, locally in the parish of Kilmalchedor, comprises 27,740 statute acres, as applotted by the tithe act, of which a large tract consists of mountain and bog; a small portion of the land is under tillage, producing excellent and early crops."
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland by Samuel Lewis (1837)]
Note: The Civil Parish of Cloghane ceased to be used for census purposes in the mid nineteenth century when District Electoral Divisions (DEDs) were introduced.
The main part of Cloghane Parish was divided into the DEDs of Brandon and Cloghane, with three townlands included in Ballyduff DED and one in Stradbally DED. The southern portion of the parish was included in Kinard DED.Ballyduff DED Drom East and West, Lisnamovaun
The Church of Ireland registers for Cloghane are lost. The parish has long been united to Dingle in the Church of Ireland.
The Roman Catholic registers for Killiny and Clohanes (later
Castlegregory) parish start in 1828.
The Registers for Dingle parish cover baptisms from 1825, and marriages from 1821.
The registers remain in the custody of the parish priest, although microfilm copies are at the National Archives of Ireland. Written permission from the Bishop of Kerry is required to view these records.
From 1863 Cloghane was part of the Dingle Registration District, and the Castlegregory Registrar's District. The Electoral Divisions listed above are used in Civil Registration. See the Registration Districts page.