"CLOGHERBRIEN, a parish, in the barony of TRUGHENACKMY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER 1½ miles (W.N.W.) from Tralee, containing 1330 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the road from Tralee to Spa, and near the bay of Tralee, and containing 3345 staute acres, as apploted under the tithe act. The land is generally good and mostly under tillage: the system of agriculture is gradually improving, and sea-weed is much used as manure.
There is no bog, but turf is supplied from Castle-Gregory, on the south-west side of the bay. The church is in ruins, but the burial-ground by the road side is much used and containing several neat tombs. There is a hedge school of 25 children."
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland by Samuel Lewis (1837)]
Note: The Civil Parish of Clogherbrien ceased to be used for census purposes in the mid nineteenth century when District Electoral Divisions (DEDs) were introduced.
Clogherbrien Parish formed part of the larger DED of Clogherbrien.
The Church of Ireland registers for Clogherbrien are lost. The parish has long been united to Tralee in the Church of Ireland. Tralee Registers for both Baptisms and Marriages start in 1771.
The Roman Catholic Registers (Tralee Parish) for Baptisms exist for the years 1772 - 1874 and for Marriages exist for the years 1774 - 1876.
The Registers for Baile na hEaglaise cover the period 1866 - 1880 (Baptisms) and 1867 - 1880 (Marriages).
From 1863 Clogherbrien was part of the Tralee Registration District, and the Tralee Registrar's District. The Electoral Division above is used in Civil Registration. See the Registration Districts page.