"KILCASKAN, a parish in the baronies of Bear and Glanarought, counties Cork and Kerry, province of Munster, Ireland, 10 miles E.N.E. of Castletown-Bearhaven, its post town. This parish is 16 miles long by 8 broad. A considerable portion of the surface lies on the N.W. shore of Bantry Bay. It is a mountainous and wild district, containing the summits of Hungry Hill, Esk, and Ghoul. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ross, value £285, in the patronage of the bishop. The church was built in 1810 by the late Board of First Fruits. There are two Roman Catholic chapels, also eight private schools. There are police and coastguard stations in the parish. The Lodge is the seat of the Earl of Bantry. There are ruins of a church situated among the hills; also of a fort at Drumlane. Slate, iron, and copper are worked."