GENUKI Home page
County Kerry Kerry   Contents Contents


"KILLINANE, a parish, in the barony of IVERAGH, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER; 4 miles (N. E.) of Caherciveen, on the road to Milltown; containing 3215 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the southern shore of Dingle bay, and is at the inner extremity of the harbour of Valencia: it comprises 23,120 staute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, of which 5030 consist of arable land, 7580 of mountain pasture, and the remainder (with the exception of about 40 acres of woodland) of rocky mountain, waste, & bog. Towards the sea are mountains, of great elevation, affording pasture during the summer months; the intervening valleys are coarse and rocky, with only a small proportion of the tillage. On one of the mountains is a remarkable prominence called "The Hag's Tooth", and on the north side of it are some small romantic lakes. The sea on the north-east forms several creeks, of which that of Kells affords shelter to small vessels. Near this place is a coast-guard station, being one of four included in the district of Valencia.
The parish is in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe, and is a rectory, forming part of the union of Cahir; the tithes amount to 160.16. and there is a glebe of 61 acres. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the district of Cahirciveen: there is a chapel at Tielmore.
The ruins of the old church still remain in the burial-ground at Sreugany. "
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland by Samuel Lewis (1837)]


Note: The Civil Parish of Killinane ceased to be used for census purposes in the mid nineteenth century when District Electoral Divisions (DEDs) were introduced.

The Civil Parish of Killinane was split between the DEDs of Bahaghs, Castlequin and Killinane.

Return to top of page

Church History

The old church of Killinane (Saint Lonan's) was in the townland of Glebe, in the old parish burial ground (sometimes known as Srugeana). Following the reformation this church passed to the Church of Ireland, but was quickly abandoned, and is now a well preserved ruin.
For Church of Ireland purposes Killinane was united with Caher, Glenbehy, Dromod and Prior in 1686, to form the Caher Union of Parishes.

In the Roman Catholic church, Killinane was united with Caher to form the parish of Cahersiveen . A church for this part of the parish was built at Filemore.
The Parish has its own website.

Return to top of page

Church Records

The Church of Ireland registers (Caher Parish) for baptisms and marriages begin in 1846. Copies of the Registers are in the
Representative Church Body Library,
Braemor Park,
Dublin 14.

You should note that Library staff will not carry out searches, but they will make the registers available for searching.

The following Roman Catholic registers remain for Caherciveen:
Baptisms Nov. 11, 1846 - June 24, 1863 (Some pages mutilated)
Baptisms April 15, 1863 - Jan. 18, 1879 (A modern transcript)

The registers remain in the custody of the parish priest, although microfilm copies are at the National Archives of Ireland. Written permission from the Bishop of Kerry is required to view these records.
Return to top of page

Civil Registration

From 1863 Killinane was in the Caherciveen Superintendant Registrar's District, and the Caher Registrar's District. See the Registration Districts page.

Return to top of page


A Location Map of the Parish
A Map showing the Townlands of Killinane
Return to top of page

[Last updated: 11-Jun-2006 12:50 PM - Laurence Jones]