GENUKI Home page
County Kerry Kerry Contents Contents

KILLORGLIN

"KILLORGLIN, a parish, partly in the barony of DUNKERRON, partly in MAGONIHY, but chiefly in the barony of TRUGHENACKMY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER 3 miles (S. W.) from Milltown, on the road from Tralee to Cahirciveen; containing 7919 inhabitants, of which number, 893 are in the village. The Moriarty family anciently possessed this district, from which they were expelled by McCarty-More. It was subsequently the property of the Fitzgeralds, who bestowed the castle and manor on the Knights Templars; on the dissolution of that order it reverted to the Fitzgeralds, by whom it was forfeited in the Desmond rebellion, when it was granted by Queen Elizabeth to Capt. Conway, after whom it is sometimes called Castle Conway. It is now the property of the noble family of Mullins. Including a detached portion, called the west fractions, it comprises 7129 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at 2738 per annum. The soil is light and gravelly, and chiefly under tillage: agriculture is improving, and there is a considerable quantity of bog and limestone. There is a small flour-mill at Menus. The river Laune divides this parish into two nearly equal parts: it contains fine salmon, and is navigable for vessels of 180 tons near to the village, which is a short distance from its mouth. The village comprises 163 houses, and close to it is a bridge on the great line of road. It exports corn and salmon, and imports iron, timber, and salt. Fairs are held on Aug. 11th and Nov. 19th; the former is called Puck Fair, at which unbroken Kerry ponies, goats, &c., are sold, and a male goat is somtimes ornamented and paraded about the fair. It has a penny post to Cahirciveen, Tralee and Newcastle; it is a constabulary police station, and has petty sessions monthly.
The church is a plain structure with a square tower, erected on land given by the late Rev. F. Mullins, and for the building of which the late Board of First Fruits gave 800, in 1816. There is a glebe-house, with a glebe of 11 acres. In the R. C. divisions this parish is the head of a union or district, including the whole of Knockane, except Glencare, and has a chapel built on an acre of land given by the late Lord Ventry, and lately much improved and ornamented. Here is a meeting-house for Methodists. About 60 children are educated in a charity school, and about 200 in private schools. At Droumavalley are the ruins of an old church to which a large burial ground is attached; and there are remains of the old castle of the Knights Templars, which till lately were inhabited."
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland by Samuel Lewis (1837)]

Return to top of page

Census

Note: The Civil Parish of Killorglin ceased to be used for census purposes in the mid nineteenth century when District Electoral Divisions (DEDs) were introduced.

Killorglin parish is contained in the following DEDs:
Caragh DED:
Curraghbeg DED:
Dromin DED:
Killorglin DED:
Kilgobnet DED:
Maum DED:
Milltown DED:

Return to top of page

Church History

The old parish church in Dromavally townland was abandoned after the Reformation, and fell into ruins. A new Church of Ireland parish church was built in the town of Killorglin in 1816, and continued in use until 1990s, when a new church was built on a new site. Killorglin is part of the union of Kilcolman.
In the Roman Catholic church a new Killorglin parish church was built about 1790, and one at Cromane in 1868. Killorglin Parish from the Diocese of Kerry website.
Return to top of page

Church Records

The Church of Ireland registers for Killorglin contain records for births from 1840, and marriages from 1837.

The Roman Catholic Registers cover: Births 1798 - 1802 , 1806 - 1852, 1857 - 1860 and 1881 - 1906 Marriages 1798 - 1802, 1806 - 1850, 1857 - 1860 and 1884 - 1946


The registers remain in the custody of the parish priest, although microfilm copies are at the National Archives of Ireland. Written permission from the Bishop of Kerry is required to view these records.
Return to top of page

Civil Registration

From 1863 Killorglin was split between Caherciveen and Killarney Registration Districts. Caragh, Curraghmore, Dromin, Kilgobnet and Killorglin DEDs formed part of the Killorglin Registrar's District in the Killarney Registration District. Maum DED was part of the Glanbehy Registrar's District of Cahirciveen Registration District. See the Registration Districts page.

Return to top of page

Maps

A Map showing the Townlands of Killorglin from the Rootsweb Kerry site
Return to top of page

[Last updated: 04-Nov-2004 10:09 AM - Laurence Jones]