Genuki Logo   Kilnaughtin Parish Kilnaughtin

An 1868 Gazetteer description of the following places in


"KILNAUGHTIN, a parish in the barony of Iraghticonnor, county Kerry, province of Munster, Ireland, containing Tarbert, its post town. The parish is 3 miles long by half a mile broad. The surface, which lies along the banks of the Shannon, is boggy. The soil is generally poor. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe, value £67. The church was built about three-quarters of a century ago. There are a Roman Catholic chapel and a Methodist meeting-house, besides seven day schools. The principal residences are Tarbert House and Lislaghtin Abbey, near which are the ruins of Lislaghtin Abbey."

"TARBERT, a post-office village in the parish of Kilnaughtin, barony of Iraghticonnor, county Kerry, province of Munster, Ireland, 30 miles N.E. of Tralee, and 3 from the Foynes station on the Limerick and Foynes railway. It is situated on Tarbert Bay and the river Shannon, and has regular communication by steamers. The village contains a police station, revenue station, parish church, Roman Catholic chapel, bridewell, dispensary, several schools, and a Wesleyan meeting-house. It is a subport to Limerick, and has a lighthouse on the Tarbert Rocks, which is visible for 13 miles. The trade of the place is chiefly in the export of grain and dairy produce. Tarbert was granted to the Crosby family by James I., but afterwards came to the Leslies, the present occupants, whose residence is at Tarbert House. Fairs are held on 20th February, Easter Monday, 22nd June, 20th July, 12th August, and 11th December."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
Are you lost in the Genuki hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.

[Last updated 18-Jul-2003 01:01 PM, Gaz3 v01.34, by Laurence Jones. ©2000]
Return to top of page