"KINNARD, a parish, in the barony of CORKAGUINEY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 2 miles (S. E. ) from Dingle; on the northern side of Dingle bay; containing 1261 inhabitants. It is intersected by the Lispole river, which runs in to the bay, and comprises 10,453 statute acres, as apploted under the tithe act; about one-half consists of mountain pasture interspersed with bog, and the remainder is chiefly under tillage: an abundant supply of sea-weed is obtained in the bay and used for manure, and the state of agriculture is gradually improving. The boats employed in bringing the manure are also occasionally engaged in the fishery of the bay. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is partly impropriate in J. Hickson, Esq., of Dingle. The tithes amount to £139.5.8, of which £56.4.1½ being the tithes of that part of the parish lying north of the river Lispole, is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the incumbent. There is a glebe of about three acres near the churchyard; the clerical duties are discharged by the incumbent of Cloghane. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the district of Dingle: the chapel for this portion of the district is on the border of the adjoining parish of Minard. The ruins of the old church still remain in the burial-ground near the shore; it has long been the burial place of the Hussey family."
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland by Samuel Lewis (1837)]
Note: The Civil Parish of Kinard ceased to be used for census purposes in the mid nineteenth century when District Electoral Divisions (DEDs) were introduced.
The Parish of Kinard is contained in Kinard DED with the
exception of Coumlanders townland which is part of Minard DED
The old parish church of Saint Fionán once stood in Kinard burial ground, but was abandoned after the Reformation, scant ruins remaining into the nineteenth century. There is now no trace of the building.
Kinard became part of the Roman Catholic parish of Dingle, along with Minard, Garfinny, Kildrum and Ventry. A new settlement, Lispole, grew up on the new main road and a church (Saint John the Baptist's) now serves this end of the parish.
Roman Catholic Registers
Church of Ireland Registers
Kinard has long been united to Dingle parish, there having been no protestants in the parish.
From 1863 Kinard was part of the Dingle Registration District,
and the Dingle Registrar's District. See the Registration Districts page.
The District Electoral Divisions listed above are used in Civil Registration.