6th January, 2000
Weekly Sports


Douglas and Ballincollig played the U12 Football League Final (Southside) at Douglas on Tuesday 28th Dec. Douglas enjoyed the best of the early exchanges. Ronan Griffen got three opening points for Douglas to give them 0- 3 to 0 -1 lead after the first quarter. A number of goal scoring chances were created but Douglas failed to capitalise on the scoring opportunities. The Mid-Cork lads rallied and were rewarded with two points. The sides were level at 0 - 3 a piece at the interval.
The Douglas mentors made a number of changes at half time. Ballincollig got the opening score, a point after the interval. James Malone equalised for Douglas. Playing some excellent football Douglas began to dominate - Ballincollig had no answer to this powerful display of football - goals by Ronan O'Murchu, James Malone and Padraig Martin sealed victory for a rampant Douglas outfit. Philip Holland, Alan Barry, Mark Lucy and Stephen Myosin played well. Michael O'Donoghue was presented with the cup at the conclusion of the game.
U 13, Douglas were defeated by St. Nick's in the semi - final of the football league. The Northsiders led 1 - 3 to 0 - 0 after 15 minutes. Douglas rallied and reduced the deficit 1- 4 to 0 - 3. After the break Stephen Bermingham and Ronan Stanton kicked two points. St. Nick's replied with a goal. For the last quarter Douglas were chasing the game but were unable to break down an excellent St. Nick's defence. Final score 2 - 6 to 0 - 7 in favour of St. Nick's. Ronan Griffin, Jonathan Lane and Stephen Bermingham were best for Douglas in what was a disappointing display.
U 12 Douglas (the Southside Champions) played Mayfield (the Northside Champions) on New Years Day. This was a marvellous game of football, full of all the skills of the game - a total of 6 goals and seventeen points were scored over the fifty minutes. Mayfield got the early scores but Douglas were awarded a penalty, which Ian Culinane converted. Mayfield finished on top and scored 2 -2 without reply to lead by 3 -4 to 1 -3 at the break.
A tremendous second half comeback, which was sparked by the forceful play of Ronan O'Murchu, Stephen Moyland and Gavin Griffen, saw Douglas score 2 - 6 without reply. Mayfield reduced the deficit to four points. Douglas scored the last three points to win on a scoreline of 3 - 12 to 3 - 5. The scoreline did not do justice to the efforts of the Mayfield team. Alan Barry was presented with the Cup at the final whistle. This was the 13th cup of the 1999 Season, which was won at under age level.


After a two week Christmas break, Neptune Stadium comes to life this Friday night as host Neptune face Waterford Crystal. The ESB Superleague game tips-off at 9.00pm and will be shown live on IBA BEO on TG4. Neptune took a two game lead in to the Christmas break and the fact that rivals Denny Notre Dame lost a game last week, means that Neptune have a trhee game lead at the top of the ESB Superleague.
Double Header
This weekend is crucial for Neptune as on Sunday theyt face Killester from Dublin, also at Neptune Stadium, tip-off 3.15pm. Neptune with Rasuel Mc Kune and Jon D'Orlando recently returned from Boston, will be hoping to pull of a double victory and further tighten their grip on the ESB SuperLeague title.

I I B A Short Mat Indoor Bowls Results and Fixtures
Trustee Savings Bank League

Section One: Crosshaven beat Barr's (Red), St Mary's beat Carrigaline GAA (Blue), Mallow beat Mitchelstown (Red) and Grange Frankfield (Blue) beat St Lukes
Section Two: Carrigaline GAA (Red) beat Blarney Street, Kinsale beat Cathedral (Blue), St Vincents (Blue) beat Ballincollig Snr Cit and Douglas (St Lukes) beat Dunmanway (Parkway)
Section Three: Ballincollig Comm (Blue) beat Mitchelstown (Blue), Nemo (Blue) beat Ballinlough Comm (Red), Grangefield Frankfield (Red) beat Barr's (Blue) and Iona (Blue) beat ICICYMA (Blue)
Section Four: Ballincollig GAA (Blue) beat Highfield (Blue), Wilton (Blue) beat Carrigaline Comm (Blue), Conna (Red) beat Middleton GAA (Red) and Ballinlough (Blue) beat Rockies (Blue)
Section Five: Brookfield (Blue) beat Midleton GAA (Blue), Douglas Comm (White) beat Pfizers, Iona (Red) beat St Anthonys (Blue) and Nemo (Red)beat Little Island
Section Six: Cathedral (Red) beat South Parish, Ballincollig GAA (Red) beat Sylvan, St Michaels beat Aghada and Douglas GAA(Red) Beat St Finbarr's
Section Seven: Douglas Comm (Red) beat Wilton (Red),Brookfield (Red) beat Glounthaune, Rockies (Red) beat Highfield (Red) and St Anthonys (Red) beat Cobh
Section Eight: St Vincents (Red) beat Carrigaline Comm (Red), ICICYMA (Red) beat Ballincollig Comm (Red), Douglas Comm (Blue) beat Douglas GAA (Blue) and Conna (Blue) beat Bandon
Fixtures: Grange Frankfield Bowling Club New Year Open Draw Licensed Fours Competition in the Gleneagle Hotel, Killarney, 7th to 9th January 2000 This is the third year in succession that the above competition is being
held in Killarney and it coincides with the Club's 10th anniversary.
Their is a large entry for this competition and an enjoyable time will be assured for all. The entrants for this competition are drawn from clubs within the Cork Zone. It is unique in that all the players are entered in
an open draw and rather than play with a club team, it results in players from different clubs playing in the same team.
The Club this year will have the privilege of being the first Organisation to use the Hotel's new magnificent National Events Centre. ( Sunday 16th January 2000) National and Ladies Championships Cork Zone Finals
in St Anthony's at 2-00 p m


Owing to the bad weather in the last few weeks, we had no fixtures, however we eventually played one on Sunday. We defeated Greenmount Rangers by 4 goals to 1. We went ahead after 15 minutes. Robbie Birmingham took a corner; Peter Noonan headed us into the lead. We were 2 goals up after 30 minutes, John Kenneally netted. We were 2 goals to nil at half time. Greenmount got one goal back midway in the second half. Then in the 70th minute, a cross from Paul Horgan and John Kenneally scored his second goal. In the 90th minute John Kenneally scored our fourth goal, scoring his first hat-trick of the season. We ran out easy winners at the finish.
Best for Grange-Vale were stand in goalkeeper R.O'Sullivan, Liam Murphy, Barry Twomey and Robbie Birmingham.
We would like to wish Christy Martin a speedy recovery.

Back to Home Page