Under-13's - Thursday 30 May

Castleknock A  V  Castleknock C

Thrilling Quarter Final in Porterstown

The unusual pairing of 2 Castleknock Teams drawn in a Cup quarter final brought great excitement to Porterstown on Thursday evening . The Castleknock 13 "B" team who had beaten two Division "A" teams on their way to the Quarter showed that this was no "flash in the pan" by holding their much-fancied "A" team Club opponents scoreless for 56 minutes. In fact it took a penalty kick with 4 minutes remaining to settle the match in favour of the "A"s.

In the opening half great defensive work and clever use of the off-side trap by the B Team defence of Finn, Quinn ,Lyons and Bell who had an outstanding game, made it difficult for the "A"s to create any chances. The midfield exchanges were intense with Molloy, Kelly, Flood and the brilliant Deasy more than holding their own for the "B" Team , while upfront Cumiskey and Hartigan forced a number of corners. However, Murphy’s safe hands in goal for the "A"s kept a clean sheet so it remained nil all at the break.

The B Team who enjoyed huge side-line support continued to take the game to the "A"s particularly with the introduction of fresh legs in Hynes and Corbett in the second half. The tension continued to mount helped in no small way by several strange refereeing decisions –including a ridiculous booking of one player 3 minutes BEFORE the kick-off.

As the game moved into the final quarter the "A"s powered by 5 Brenfer Representative players in McAuley, Moriarty, Masterson Daly and Byrne who was outstanding and with the wind and sun on their back began to impose their will on the game. Wingers Sweeney and Quinn ran at the "B"s defence and opened up space for Dunner and Andrews but they were denied time and time again by great goalkeeping from Terry whose long clearance created many counter-attacks on the right wing. But the "A"s were unyielding and where Sems at left full kept thing tight.

As the clock continued to count down it looked as if extra time was on the cards, however the mighty Andrews seemed determined to finish things in normal time. Using many of his silken skills and his considerable frame he (again) powered his way goal-wards brushing off tackle after tackle and was just about to pull the trigger when he was brought down by the unfortunate Quinn- who had been outstanding at central defender for the "B"s throughout.  The Ref pointed at the spot and Andrews converted with an unstoppable shot. The score came at the wrong time for the B Team who really had done themselves and their Managers Peter Finn and Jimmy Cumiskey proud.

We Wish the "A" Team, who were short Laner on the night were also without Kenneth Arkins who with his dad Manager Brian are off enjoying the World Cup in Japan, the Best of Luck in the final stages of the Championship.