Sun 23rd May 2004

Castleknock Celtic Go So Close to Famous Victory

in Under-8s Cup Final

 Castleknock Celtic 2  St Columbans 3

This final pitched Celtic's Under-8s from the B-league against high-flying St Columbans, who are challenging for the league in the A-division.  So Celtic were a little apprehensive going into the game.  But they need not have worried that they would not be a match for the Coolock side.

On 5 minutes Dylan Kinsella brought out a fine stop from Eoin Sweeney.  2 minutes later, Dylan made no mistake as he deflected the ball to the back of the Celtic net.  It was a setback for the Hoops, and they went into the first break 1-0 behind.

The 2nd quarter started in style, as Ryan Moore, the Celtic wizard, broke through and shot home to give Darren Farrelly no chance.  It was a taste of things to come from the Celts.

But it was Adam Deegan who was proving a handful as the quarter progressed, and he was just wide with his header. But Celtic's no.2, Eoin O'Donnchu, man of the match ('laochra an chluiche' as they say down in Ballyferiter), was in uncompromising mood, and he stopped many an attack.  Ryan Moore himself went very close with his effort.  1-1 at half-time.

The 3rd quarter saw St Columbans get off to a flyer.  Adam Deegan scored to give them the advantage.  They went close again through Corey Franzoni, the Saints' no.9, when his shot was just wide after his great run.  Eoin Sweeney was doing very well in the Celtic goal, taking off another great save.  Ryan Moore was just wide with his attempt on goal.  It was nip and tuck, a game of great entertainment.  But the Saints pressed forward, as Adam Deegan was just wide of the left hand post, but that man Dylan Kinsella popped up and shot home.  3-1 to the Columbans.  It looked over, but there was another chapter to come.

The final quarter began with a flurry.  Darren Farrelly saved brilliantly for the Saints.  But he was unable to cope with a superb shot from Ryan Moore who brilliantly picked the far corner, making no mistake.  2-3.  And it was nail-biting stuff to the finish.

Cian Anderson played his heart out.  Tom Fogarty was forever putting in the tackles.  Eve Farrelly, no relation to the Saints' keeper, was a rock in defence, and performed well up in the middle of the park for the time she spent there.  Danny Byrne patrolled the middle and was setting up attacks for the Celts.  Dara McCaffrey gave 100 per cent linking well with his midfield colleagues.  Luke Henshaw, as he has been all season, was always in position to make vital interventions.  This was indeed a great team performance, and the Club Secretary was amazed that they could dig so deep and he said that this performance ranked up there with the best he has seen.  They went oh so close.  Well done to all, and especially to Owen O'Donnchu for his man of the match performance.

Celtic team below with Paul Farrelly and David Fogarty leading their charges to the pinnacle of their season.