Titanic Struggle Ends in Victory for Celtic over League Leaders Pearse Rangers

DDSL U-18 Premier League

Sun. 20th Feb 05

Castleknock Celtic  2    Pearse Rangers  1

Rangers got off to a flyer and were 1-0 to the good after five minutes.  This looked omenous for the home side, as Pearse had won their previous 8 games in the league.  But this is a resilient Celtic team, who don't flinch easily.  They dusted themselves down, and carried the fight to the visitors from Ringsend. It was hard-fought throughout, with the Rangers No. 8 really putting himself about, so much so that the referee Paul McEvoy had to show him the card midway through the first half.

Celtic battled hard and got their reward after 20 minutes.  Paul Murray's corner kick came back off the cross bar, and Simon Fleming was on hand to slot it home.  Adam O'Callaghan went ever so close when his effort came back off the Rangers' keeper's legs.

The 2nd half was equally keenly contested.  Adam O'Callaghan shot fiercely to the keeper's left, but the keeper was equal to it after 8 minutes of the second period.  Adam was again to the fore when he and his twin brother Steve exchanged passes, but the keeper was again equal to his effort.

With 3 minutes to go, the decisive breakthrough came.  Andy Weldon, who had been a colossus at the back for Celtic, sent the long ball through for the lightening-paced Adam O'Callaghan, who smartly rounded the keeper and slotted home with aplomb.  2-1 and the Celtic supporters went wild.

A great day for the home side after their disappointment at being dumped out of the LFA Cup by the gurus of Parnell Square, who decided that Celtic had transgressed by not travelling to Wexford for a game v. Bohs Wexford.  The fixture had been posted in the newspapers for Sunday, but it should have been Saturday.  League's mistake, but Celtic suffered.  If anyone says there is justice among administrators, we are looking hard to find it.  Well done Arnie, Noel and Eddie, for motivating their troops so well, which delivered this result.