Castleknock Celtic  4    Glebe North  2 (a.e.t.) 

(2-2 after normal time)   

"Glebe North hearts are broken in dramatic quarter-final tie"

NDSL 11 Dr Tom Coghlan Cup

Sun. 9th April 06

Celtic will never have a closer brush with a cup exit than today in Porterstown.  They trailed 2-0 with 2 minutes remaining, and yet managed to rise from the ashes to earn a prized semi-final slot against Kilbarrack in the Dr Tom Coghlan Cup. The other semi-final will be between Rivervalley or Kinvara versus Baldoyle.  Castleknock's retention of this trophy will definitely have to be done the hard way, having had the toughest of examinations today, there is still fierce opposition remaining.

While the result seemed a surprise, the fact that Celtic had not bagged a hatful by half-time was equally surprising.  The second half for Celtic was lack lustre, and they seemed to have their minds on the Bavaria Cup where they go on Good Friday to take on European opposition.  They got severely punished for their lack of focus when Glebe broke twice with incisive attacks that left them in seventh heaven, dreaming of Cup glory.  Even their supporters were revelling in their apparent victory.

Then in the dying minutes, everyone appearing to be resigned to defeat on the home line, Celtic were given a lifeline. Referee Fran Morrissey pointed to the spot for a push in the back of one of Celtic's strkers.  Consternation all round. The visitors went ballistic, as one of them was ordered from the ground for the vehemence of his protests.  Their manager was severely reprimanded.  But while all hell was breaking loose, up stepped the iceman, Brian Slevin sent the keeper the wrong way as he planted the spot kick into the right hand corner of the net (see photo). 2-1 to Glebe, with time virtually up.

The ball was tipped off.  Celtic get possession, the ball is on the edge of the Glebe box, a tussle for the ball, and a free kick is awarded to Celtic.  The resultant free gives rise to a scramble in the goal area.  And yes, it's that man again, Slevin, who ushers the ball into the net to square the game at 2-2, and send the game into extra-time.

Celtic's good fortune restored their confidence, and in extra-time there was only one team going to win.  They were now playing at the standard they displayed in the first half.  They were soon rewarded when Gareth O'Hara broke free on the left of the Glebe box and coolly slotted home into the far corner of the net.  3-2 to Celtic.

In the second period of extra-time, Brian Slevin completed yet another hat-trick to seal a famous victory for the Castleknock club, which has seldom seen a more dramatic Houdini escape act.  Spare a thought for Glebe who must still be wondering how they are not in the semi-final.

We wish Paul Slevin's charges bon voyage as they set sail for the South of Germany for the Bavaria Cup next Friday.  They also have their trip to Old Trafford in May to look forward to when they will take on the might of St Josephs Sallynoggin.