Dr Tom Coghlan Cup Semi-Final

Sun. 30th April 2006

Castleknock Celtic have close encounter with the 'Barrack in Dr Tom Coghlan Cup semi-final

Castleknock Celtic  3   Kilbarrack Utd  2   

Castleknock came out on top in a closely contested semi-final.  For the first 20 minutes, it was a very keenly fought contest, with both keepers being the main attraction.  But Celtic hit on the break, and Kilbarrack's centre-half desperately scythed down Garret O'Hara as he came forward menacingly.  Up stepeed his cousin, Brian Slevin, to slot home from the spot, his 59th of the season !!

Kilbarack fought back strongly and were unlucky not to draw level just before half time when they were foiled by a great save from Patrick Dunne.  H-Time 1-0 to Celtic.

The second half started with Celtic playing their usual expansive game, which put Kilbarrack on the back foot.  Greg O'Brien was having a stunning game in the midfield.  He beautifully threaded the ball through the Kilbarrack defence for Gareth O'Hara to volley into the top corner.  2-0

The second goal seemed to induce that 'enough is enough' feeling in Celtic as they turned off.  And they were made to pay. They were hit with a sucker punch, as a long ball through was neatly converted by the Kilbarrack striker.

However, full credit to Celtic, who responded quickly with Dylan Gourlay and Gareth O'Hara engaging in some beautiful interplay to put the prolific Slevin in for number 60 to make it 3-1.

Gareth O'Hara continued to run the game ably assisted in midfield by Greg O'Brien, as Castleknock poured forward looking for number 4.  But it was Kilbarrack who bounced back and reduced the deficit to 3-2 and made it a tense final few minutes.  But Celtic were the superior force and saw out the game to give them their well-earned place in the Cup Final on 14th May against old rivals Baldoyle, who defeated Rivervalley 4-0 in the other semi.  Celtic's man of the match award went to Gareth O'Hara, who just pipped  Greg O'Brien for the accolade.