Burke's THE LANDED
GENTRY OF IRELAND
LEE OF BARNA
ALBERT HENRY LEE, of Barna, co Tipperary, b. 27 April, I853; succeeded his father
IO January 1861; married 28 August 1883, Raby Beatrice, only dau of Henry Godfrey
James, of Ballyvourneen, co Limerick, and grand-dau of Captain James of the 35th
Regt, and has issue,
Henry William James, born 16 December 1893.
Susan Kate, born 21 May, 1884.
Lineage - This family claim descents from Richard Lee, of Quarendon, Bucks, ancestor
of the extinct Earls of Lichfield (see BURKE'S Extinct Peerage).
The immediate ancestor, Sir Henry Lee, purchased in 1658 the lands of Barna, Barony
of Owny and Arra co Tipperary, from Richard Dingle and Robert Child, and died
circa 1698, leaving, with two daus (who succeeded to Craig Castle), a son,
Edward Lee of Barna, according to the family tradition, partially disinherited
by his father, in consequence of his marriage. He married Mary, dau of Benjamin
Lane, of co Tipperary, and died 1702, leaving a son, Benjamin Lee of Barna, co
Tipperary, who, (by Martha his wife), left two daus Elizabeth, married John Spunner,
of King's Co, and Mary, married James McCarol, of Cnol, co Tipperary, and an only
Edward Lee, of Barna, married Elizabeth, dau of Daniel Ryan of Ballymackeogh (see
that family). His will, dated 29 March 1724, was proved 1726. By his wife, who
survived him, he left, with another son, Edward, an elder son,
Henry Lee of Barna, under age at his father's death, married 10 Feb 1747, Mary,
dau of Evan Phillips, of Killeen (Mount Rivers), co Tipperary, and died 1803,
leaving issue, (sons, then daughters)
1. George, his heir.
2. Evan of Lodge, co Tipperary, married Alice, dau of Saunders Young.
3. Henry, Lieut-Col Royal Marines.
1. Susan, married Stumbles Philips, of Mount Philips, co Tipperary, and had issue,
2, Elizabeth, married George Cornwall, of Old Park, co Cork.
3. Mary, married - Ware, of Bandon.
4. Catherine, married - Frewen, of Castle Connell.
5. Nessy, married Pierce Ryan, MD, and had issue,
The eldest son,
George Lee, of Barna married 1778 Alice, dau and co-heir of John Norris, of Limerick,
and left at his decease, June, 1815,
1. Henry, his successor.
2. John, an officer 3rd Dragoons, married 1st, Emma, dau of Henry Bevan, of Camus,
co Limerick, by whom he had issue,
1. William Norris, of Bettyville, co Limerick, married his cousin, Alicia, dau
of James Thomas Dickson, and had surviving issue, 1. John Theodore Rev. 2. William,
3. Anne, who married - Bevan 4. Mary, who married - Tuthill 5. Alice married R
2. Elizabeth, married 1st George Henry Heard, one of the six Clerks in the Court
of Chancery, and had issue. She married 2ndly, Hamilton Geale, Barrister-at-Law,
of Darragh co Cork, brother of the Countess Fortesque,
3. Alice, deceased
4. Anna, married Lieut-Col Francis Russell, HEICS, and died 1861, leaving issue,
He married, 2ndly Ellen, dau of Edmund Morony, of Ballyclough, co Clare, by whom
he had a dau, Ellen died unmarried. He died 1835.
3. William Rev, Scholar of Trinity College, Dublin, (1799), appointed 1825 to
the Rectory of Hore Abbey, Diocese of Cashel; became successively Rector of Moyaliffe,
Vicar of Emly, and, in 1829, a Vice-Choral of Cashel. He married in 1813, Jane,
dau of Richard White, of Greenhall, co Tipperary, and died 1835, having had issue,
1. William (Ven) DD, Professor of Ecclesiastical History, in the University of
Dublin, Fellow of Trinity College, and and Archdeacon of Dublin. He married Anne,
dau of William English, of Farmley, co Tipperary, and had issue,
(1) William (Rev) MA, (2) Thomas Richard, (3) Henry
(1) Alice, (2) Anne, (3) Jane
2. George, married Agnes, dau of John Brown, of London, by whom he had issue,
(1) George, (2) Alfred, (3) Agnes (4) Rosalile
3. Richard (Rev), married Jane, dau of Robert H Ievers, of Castle Ievers, co Limerick
(see that family); and died 1850, leaving issue,
(1) Richard (Rev), DD, MA, Head-Master of Christ's Hospital, London.
(2) William, (3) Jane, (4) Maria.
4. Henry, married Maria, dau of Robert H levers, by whom he has issue,
(1) William Henry. (2) Robert. (3) Henry. (4) Maria. (5) Jane Henrietta.
5. Anne Laetitia,
6. Alice, died young, unmarried
4. Richard, died unmarried 1842.
5. Edward, of Dublin, married Elizabeth, dau of M Ryan, of Tyrone House, co Tipperary,
and died 1860, leaving by her, who predeceased him, an only child, Elizabeth,
who married Capt Falkiner.
Anne, maried James Thomas Dickson, Barrister -at -Law, and by him, who is deceased,
His eldest son,
Henry Lee of Barna, JP Cornet 5th Dragoons, born 5 march, 1779; married 2nd January
1808, Maria, dau of Christopher Crofts, of Stream Hill, Doneraile, co Cork (see
Crofts of Velvetstown) and died 18 Jan 1848, leaving issue by her (who died 1868).
1. Henry Albert, his heir
2. George Augustus
3. Charles Edward
5. Alicia Maria
6. Catherine Louisa
7. Charlotte, deceased
9. Maria Louisa, married - Hunt
His eldest son,
Henry Albert Lee, MD of Barna, born 2 August 1818; married 31 July 1852, Susan
Kate, eldest dau of John Benn, of Dromore House, near Newport, co Tipperary, and
died 10 Jan 1861, having by her, (who married 2ndly, Surg-Major Abbott, AMS),
1. Albert Henry, now of Barna.
2. William Alexander, Surg-Col AMS born 13 Aug 1854; married the dau of Col Addison
potter, of Heaton hall, Newcastle -on-Tyne, and has issue,
3. George John Francis, born 12 April 1856, died 3 march 1865.
4. Henry Ewer, born 11 Feb 1858; died 14 Aug 1897.
Arms: - Arg. a fess between three crescents sa. Crest - on a column arg. encircled
with a ducal coronet or, a falcon ppr. preying on a bird's leg az. erased gu.
Motto - Fide et constantia.
Seat - Barna, near Newport, co Tipperary.