House was built in the 1700s by Judge Stephen Trotter who was MP for
the area at Westminster. He made this his principal residence. It is
reputed that window-sills of the house were plundered headstones of
monks from previous centuries. A statue of Judge Trotter MP stands in
at the Law Society, Blackhall Place, Dublin. The statue which stood
in the porch of the Church of Ireland church was removed, for safe keeping,
at the time of deconecration of this church and is the work of Flemish
sculptor Peter Schoemakers. The restoration of the statue was commissioned
by the Irish Heritage Council.
Close to the Courthouse along the western perimeter of the village
green is Connell's House, the oldest house in Duleek. This building
was in existence at the time of the famous Battle of the Boyne in 1690.
Approximately two miles from
Duleek village along the Drogheda/Ashbourne road we come to the lovely
old house of Annesbrook, now a private residence. It commands a beautiful
view of the River Nanny and the surrounding countryside. An interesting
feature is the entrance gate which is set in a stone-built archway -it
has the gatekeeper's kitchen to one side and his bedroom to the other,
and is known locally as The Pockets.
was honoured by a visit from George IV in 1821. In honour of the King's
visit a portico and dining hall were added to the house. However, the
King declined to enter the new edifice. In 1842 William AA. Thackeray
visited the area and is said to have been most impressed by Annesbrook.
Just over the fence is the townland of Keenogue, which as the name implies
was the birthplace of St Cianan, patron saint of Duleek. He was the
first bishop consecrated by St Patrick. St Cianan's Well may still be
seen at this location. Nearby, a Bronze Age burial site was discovered
in or about 1930.The site was dated at approximately 1800 BC. Artefacts
from here were transferred to the National Museum where they are on
amile upriver from Annesbrook stand the ruins of Athcarne Castle situated
on the banks of the Hurley River (in turn a tributary of the River Nanny).
In the 1930's most of the land was acquired by the Land Commision and
divided. The castle was retained by James Gernon who regaled locals
with tales of the Klondike gold rush. He was the last occupant of the
castle which was partially demolished in the 1950's.
There is a magnificent panoramic view of Athcarne Castle and the East-Meath/Louth
countryside from a vantage point about 200 yards above Riverstown Cross
on the Ardcath road.
house on the Ashbourne-Drogheda road at the end of the causeway at Duleek
was originally built as a coach house/post office and dates back to
about 1800. It was here that coach-horses were changed on the Dublin-Belfast
route. The route came from Ardcath across the causeway to Duleek before
going on to Drogheda. The hill coming down from Ardcath to the Coach
House is reputed to have been a favourite hold-up point for Collier
the Robber. The view of Duleek House from the Coach House across the
river is very attractive.
Parochial House The original house was built in 1795. It was built
in three stages and was acquired by Fr John Kearney to accommodate the
parish priest and the curate. It was re-roofed in 1993 and presides
over the very elegant village green. At the back of the house are substantial
stables and other outoffices which in earlier times were used for parish
animals. These were built in 1898 and in more recent times have been
refurbished as meeting rooms for parish groups and community activity.
Duleek Courthouse was built in 1838 by John Trotter as a sessions
house for the Meath Grand Jury. It was designed by Francis Johnston.
The main architectural features are the Doric door-case and fanlight,
a simplified eaves pediment and corner quoins. The building was used
as a courthouse until 1960 when it was converted to a library and environmental
offices. Its best-known magistrate was Judge Stephen Trotter who was
responsible for the erection of Duleek House.