Thanks to Lt.Cdr Paddy Lynch (SM) Retd. who sent us this report on his return from a similar Cruise out of Venice|
1. Athens, (your first coach excursion) is quite some distance from Piraeus & an organised tour is essential to see the many sights, Acropolis & Parthenon (a bit of a climb, not for the feeble) If possible visit Syntagma (Constitution Square) to see the skirted soldiers perform the changing of the guard, most unusual. If time permits visit the Plaka Medieval Quarter & Monstiraki street markets.
2. Katakolon, (your second coach excursion) is a tiny port with one main street with lots of gift shops, you would see the lot in 1 hour. But importantly it is the gateway to one of the most famous sites in Greece, Olympia dating back to 7 BC. (this is where the Olympic Flame is lit every 4 years) A giant gold statue of Zeus stood here once and was one of the Seven Wonders of the World.
3. Do your own thing in Split, tender to shore 3 min walk to Old Town. Currency, Croatian Kuna (€1= 7 Kuna) Major Credit Cards accepted most Shops.
4. Do your own thing in Corfu, Taxi's in terminal area to Old Town €10 for 4 each way (ask to be dropped off at Mc Donalds) you can then get a Tourist "Choo, Choo Train" from there if you wish. ( return here for return taxi to ship) This is a very nice area for shops or a drink or a snack.
5. Mykonus, the berth is about 2 miles from the town, the ship usually arranges a shuttle bus. A very beautiful place, 365 Churches, Gay Capital of Europe, Little Venice, Very narrow streets and white washed houses, Nice bars, shops, Windmills on a hill over looking the bay.
6. Venice, beautiful, as I said before, BE ON DECK AS YOU SAIL DOWN THE GRAND CANEL with camcorders and cameras, it is a stunning sight, not to be forgotten.
Well Terry, I hope the above is of some help to you.