Newmarket got it’s name around 1620 when Richard Aldworth was granted a weekly market and two fairs. Prior to that it was known as Kilmacroghan which was known as The Church of the Swamp. Áth Trasna is the Irish name for Newmarket which means, The Crossing at the Ford. Newmarket has a beautiful old house which was once the residence of the Aldworth family. Captain Aldworth was in charge of the British Army who were stationed in Newmarket at one time. It was bought by The Congregation of  St. Joseph and they occupied it for many years until the town Development bought it and it is now called the James O' Keeffe Institute.

There are many pre-historic remains in the parish of Newmarket such as, forts, fulacht fiadh, stone alignments, and cairns,  many of which date from a thousand years before Christ. Newmarket has one of the finest pipe bands in the county. The idea of starting a band was in 1962 an organising committee was then set up. The first public appearance took place at the Cross, Newmarket, and the first outside performance was at Liscarroll, in 1963. Newmarket has a strong G.A.A. tradition both hurling and football they have won two County Junior Football titles one in 1970 and the other 1998. Sarah Curran daughter of John Philpott Curran is buried in the Protestant graveyard in Newmarket. She was the girlfriend of Robert Emmett. After his execution she became seriously ill.  She died in 1805. People come to the town from far and near to visit her grave.

by John Scanlon



Short History of Newmarket

The English name of Newmarket came into place in 1620, when Sir Richard Aldworth got a grant saying he could have a weekly market and two fairs. The usual Irish form for Newmarket is Áth Trasna – the crossing of the ford. Áth Trasna was the name of one of six great divisions of Clanawley. It stretched from River Dalua, below Liscongil, to the Kerry- Limerick borders in the North and within its boundaries included Meelin and Rockchapel. In the 16th century, Ath Trasna was a townland, which included the townlands of Longacre, the Island, Liscongill, the park and the Demense. The old Kerry road passed through this townland and crossed the River Dalua a couple of yards below Clonfert  bridge . This crossing of the Ford gave its name Áth Trasna. The Irish speakers used to know Newmarket as Baile Nua or Ballyroe - the New town. In May 1620, he received a grant for a Thursday market and two fairs to be held at Killmacroghan, alias Newmarket, in Clanawley. Recently the Newmarket Girls school got redecorated and is now looking very nice.

by Nicky Flanagan




Newmarket got its name , when Richard Aldworth was granted a new weekly market and two fairs in 1620. The Irish name for Newmarket is Áth Trasna [The crossing of the ford]. Fr J. Beechinor built St Mary’s Church in 1834 on a site given byChurch Richard Aldworth.  Richard also gave £75 towards the building. In 1927 Newmarket Court was bought by the Congregation of St Joseph, an Australian order of nuns.   Today it is known as the James O'Keeffe Institute.  

Newmarket has two primary schools. The Boys School which was opened in 1970 and the Girls school was built in 1925.  Recently it has been redecorated. 

The Island Wood, which lies just above the town, is a secluded wooded area where people take peaceful walks.  Clonfert lies across from the Island Wood and here generations after generation of our forefathers lie in peace and it is being used still today. 

Surnames which go back generations and are still part of Newmarket today are Mc Auliffe, O'Keeffe, Verling and Kenneally. Curran and Aldworths are two of the lost surnames of the parish. The famous Sarah Curran was born at Priory in 1782. When she was about twenty, she became acquainted with Robert Emmet and was with him up to his arrest. Sarah Curran’s body is buried in the Protestant cemetery, which is over near the Round Wall. 

The Co-op was formed in 1938. They purchased it for the sum of £17,000 . It produces cheese with the brand name of Glenlara. The local anthem is 'Up Up Newmarket' this was composed by Fr. Norris in the early 1900’s. After any G. A . A. win the echo of [Up Up Newmarket] goes through the streets of Newmarket.

By John Ryan


Newmarket railway station

There was a railway station many years ago.  It had a turn table  where Sunpak is now.  The trains traveled to Kanturk, Banteer, Mallow & Dublin.  It was running on coal.  It brought goods, livestock and passengers to and from Newmarket.  

A big day out was Banteer Sports day.  Many people travelled on the train on that day.  There was just one line on tracks.  The Station Master's house was where Peggy Mackessey's house is now.  His name was Mr. Morley.  The Line Master's house was Bridie Allen's house across from the Grotto.  his name was Mr. Kearney.  The railway line was called Great Southern Railways.

by Jimmy Twomey



Stories researched by the boys using the 'History of Newmarket', written by Br. Allen.

Back  Back