The Structure of the Little Mill.
The Present Facilities
Our favourite building “The Little Mill” may be divided into two parts, (1) the mill building, (2) the millers house. Both buildings have a combined floor space of approximately three hundred square metres.
(1) The Mill Building
The original structure on this site was probably replaced several times, since fire, flood and the vibrations of the machinery frequently destroyed the early mills. The present building was extensively renovated in 1944 and some upper storeys were added. This is typical of developments at that time.
The main building is a four-storey structure. The wider walls at the bottom are stone. The narrower ones at the top are of mass concrete construction – those were added in 1944
when the building was renovated. The main gearing and drives are on the ground floor. The shelling and grindstones are on the second floor. The top floor was used mainly for storing grain as it passed from one process to the next.
The back area is a three-storey structure and has access doors leading to the main building on each floor. The stairways to the second and third storeys were installed in 1974 for safety reasons. The drying kiln extends the entire height of this portion of the building. There is a considerable amount of free space beside the stairway and the kiln.
(2) The Millers House
This building was renovated in 1980 and is now being developed as a display area, which will be a permanent exhibition on mills and milling. It was originally a two-storey structure with very low ceilings. Only the kitchen and overhead bedroom are retained at the original level. The remainder is now single storey with a gangway along one side, which is used to display photographs.