History

Text Box: Built originally in 1766 as an L shaped building, it replaced the many Mass Houses in the South side of Cork City. The Church was extended and the new sanctuary and south wing changed the configuration to a cross in 1809. Galleries were also added at this time to accommodate the large increase in attendance. As more Churches were built the South Parish was divided again and again until today it accommodates the Lough Church, Turnerís Cross and Ballyphehane.
The galleries became unsafe with time and some were removed and the whole church was renovated about 1950. The railings were removed from the front and so opened up the church to the street outside.