Just inside the Clare border, Whitegate is only a short distance from a number
of lakeside facilities, among them a private harbour at Williamstown,
where a hire-cruiser operation is based. A public harbour is under
construction and the village has great fishing potential.
(Baile ui Bheolain - Boland's town)
On a height overlooking Lough Derg, Mountshannon is a typical landlord's
village of the 18th century. Its stone-built houses have definite style
It is an excellent centre for angling and sailing and there is a music
festival in the summer.
Mountshannon House was donated to An Oige, the Irish Youth Hostel Association
by its last owner, Lady Talbot de Malahide, and is now a youth hostel.
Mountshannon was national winner in 1981 of the Tidy Towns' Competition,
organised by the Irish Tourist Board.
Holy Island (Inis Cealtra - Island of the burial ground; or Island of
monastic cells) is 2 km from Mountshannon. It is notable for its early
monastic remains; including a round tower St. Caimin founded the settlement
in the 7th century and occupation continued until the 13th century. It was
a famous place of pilgrimage until fairly recently.
Ireland's most unique project provides an informative exploration of Irish Spirituality over 9,500 years.
There is a maze, outdoor performance area, viewing shelter overlooking Lough Derg, picnic and recreational area.
The project will function as an introduction into an area steeped in history, tradition and culture.
(Tulach - a hill)
The village, built on a drumlin, has the remains of a medieval parish church
of St. Moculla.
The area has several prehistoric gallery graves.
Like the rest of the Clare Lakelands region, Tulla offers great fishing.
Limestone caves that can be explored mark the Toumeens, an underground
stream, 3 km away.
Craggaunowen castle (1550), a MacNamara fortified house, was abandoned
after the Cromwellian confiscation of 1653. It was restored by Tom Steele
of Cullaun in early 19th century, then passed into the hands of the Land
Commission, and was bought by John Hunt in 1965, who created the bronze-age
complex: the crannog or lake-dwelling, the ring fort and the souterrain or
Later 'The Brendan', a recreation of the type of leather currachs used by St.
Brendan the Navigator in 6th century was added.
Cullaun Lake offers good sailing and the surrounding woods have forest walks
and a lakeside picnic site.
Cullaun House, now in ruins, was formerly the property of Tom Steele (1788-1848),
friend of Daniel O'Connell and on the side of the Catholic Emancipation.