Buildings on Farnham Street

Farnham Street took its name from the local landlord estate Farnham Estate. The town's appearance was improved in the early 19th century by the Lords Farnham, a local landlord family. In 1842 they built a new, wide street, that still bears their name. Farnham Street was lined with comfortable town houses, public buildings (such as the Court house of 1825) and churches (including Cavan parish church of 1807-25). The aim was to create "a tree and terraced lined mall".

The Cathedral of Saint Felim and Saint Patrick: The Cathedral of Saint Felim and Saint Patrick located on Farnham Street was built in the 1900's. The architect was Ralph Byrne. Work started in 1939, but the Cathedral was not consecrated until 1947 because the work was delayed by the second world war. It is built of granite with limestone and Portland stone details. It has five bays and is two storeys high. The spire stands 224 ft above Farnham Street and is topped with a gilded cross.

The First Catholic Church was built in 1823 on the same site, the land was supplied by the fourth Baron Farnham. In 1843 Bishop James Brown of Kilmore moved the seat of bishopric from Cootehill to Cavan. Then in 1862 renovation was carried out to Cavan church and it was raised to the status of a Cathedral.In the later part of the 19th century it had some of the finest church furniture. Pews were reserved for some of Cavan's more important citizens. In 1919 a decision was made to build a bigger cathedral on the site behind the old cathedral. The old Cathedral was taken down stone by stone and rebuilt in Ballyhaise.

The Courthouse situated on Farnham Street dates from 1824,at the cost of £11,000 to £12000 pounds and owes its existence to the Farnham Estate. It was built by Mssr Colbourne and Williams of Dublin and was built from sandstone taken from the local quarry at Latt.The facade has five bays and is two storey. In 1987 the Courthouse was practically and reconstructed by Mssrs.P.Elliott & Co. The Statue in front of the Courthouse commemorates Thomas Ashe one of the volunteers of the 1916 rising. In addition to court sittings the building is now the seat of the County Council and the Urban District Council which administers local government in the county. The County Manager is Mr. Brian Johnston. Find out more about the Council by clicking on this link

Cavan Church of Ireland belongs to the Parish of Urney.This church dates from the early 1800's. It opened for worship in 1815. It was designed by John Bowden. It is built of sandstone. The church has an octagonal spire and a three faced clock. The church is surrounded by a sandstone wall.One of the monuments on view is a sculpting dedicated to the Earl of Farnham and signed "Chantry London 1826". The present rector is Canon Mark Lidwill.

Views of Cavan Church.

Find out more about the Diocese of Kilmore @

The Presbyterian Church is a single cell building with a porch at the west end. It has six pinnacles, three on the porch and three on the gable end. It is inscribed 'Scots Church 1836' and built of large blocks of sandstone. The first rector was Rev. Robert Fleming. The present minister is Rev. Jean Mackarel. She was installed as minister in the congregations of Cavan, Killeshandra, Drumkeeran and Bellasis on 27th January 1986.
The Methodist Church is situated on Farnham Street. It was built in 1874. It is built of limestone. It is a single cell with a pointed west window The tower which was never completed contains the pointed doorcase.The church closed in the early 1970's and is now Abbey Printers.
Cana House:is situated on Farnham Street behind St. Felim's Boys School on the site of the old Gaol.In early 1988, Cavan County Council in conjunction with Fás training centre, Dundalk, Co.Louth set-up a project to index the parish registers of baptisms, marriages and burials. The local historical society was also involved at that stage and the committee to oversee the project was called Cumann Seanchais Bhreifne Genealogical Sub-committee. Over the years the project expanded and continued to computerise and index not just church records but census records, land records and various other sources of a genealogical nature. Similar centres were found all over Ireland North and South and the All Ireland project came to be known as the Irish Genealogical Project (IGP). The sub-committee was abolished in 1994 and replaced by a limited company with a board of directors.

Find out more about @ or

 [Historical Buildings near our School] [An Introduction to Cavan Town ] [ Buildings on Farnham Street] [Schools in Cavan]  [Famous people associated with Cavan] [Local Attractions] [Sport in Cavan][ Links to Other Cavan Websites ]