There are many definitions of the name Coldwood. e.g. An Lúr-choill,
which translates to the "Yew Wood". But the most credible definition would
be Fuar-coll, which means "The cold Hazel". This could have been the original
name as the surrounding area and site of the old school is covered in hazel.
The Hazel Tree
Coldwood like many other villages in Ireland has a wonderful nature
habitat. There is a "turlough" nearby. In winter it resembles a small lake.
Beside the turlough there are woods with foxes, squirrels and rabbits.
Local farming is a big factor in Coldwood. The nearby medieval town of
Athenry is renowned for its Agricultural Show each summer. People come
from all over Ireland to see the show.
The village of Coldwood was a prosperous little village even 200 years
ago. There were 28-30 stonehouses in the village at the time. During landlord
times the land was valued highly and it was particularly noted for wheat
St. Michael's House:
There are lots of landmarks around the school. One is St. Michael's
House in Monateigue. An Irish Catholic Landlord named Edmund Davis built
it in 1830. Going back 200 years ago about 30 families lived in Coldwood.
These people attended mass in a local place called "Creg an Aifrinn" or
the "Mass Rock" which is still there to this day.
Scoil Náisiúnta na Fuarchoilleadh
In Penal Times the local people attended mass at Creganaifreann in
the present "Turlough". The mass rock can still be seen there. Local people
also mentioned that there was a sycamore tree in the "Turlough" in the
shape of a human hand.
St. John's Eve:
Each year on St Johnís Eve, the 23rd of June, local people gather for
Mass at the Rock followed by refreshments and a bonfire. Children from
Coldwood School take part in the readings and the choir, and all generations
gather for what is always an enjoyable community event.
Back to History Contents