"KNOCKANE, a parish in the barony of Dunkerron, county Kerry, province of Munster, Ireland, 7 miles N.W. of Killarney, its post town. It is over 10 miles in length and breadth, and extends between the rivers Laune and Blackwater. By far the greater portion of the surface is mountainous, and comprises the range called the M'Gillycuddy's Reeks. The parish contains districts and objects of great celebrity, noticed under their proper heads, e.g., the Lakes of Killarney. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe, value £241, in the patronage of the crown. The church was built by the late Board of First Fruits in 1813. Here are a Roman Catholic chapel and three hedge-schools. Whitfield is the seat of M'Gillycuddy of the Reeks. Dunloe is another seat. Sandstone, limestone, and slate prevail among the rocks."
"COMME-DHUV, (or The Black Valley), a mountain pass in the parish of Knockane, leading to the glen or ravine bearing the same name, in the southern part of county Kerry, province of Munster, Ireland. It is situated about 5 miles on the road from Kenmare to Killarney, and in the vicinity of the great lakes of that district. The view obtained from this point is one of exceeding grandeur.
"DUNLOE-GAP, in the parish of Knockane, barony of Dunkerrin, in the county of Kerry, province of Munster, Ireland, a mountain pass of peculiar grandeur lying between the Tomies and Magillicudddy's Reeks mountain, about 4 miles in length. The entrance, which opens between the Bull and Holly mountains, is a mere cleft. The almost perpendicular sides of the mountains cast a sombre hue and darkness over the entire scene, the effect of which is heightened by the inky appearance of a small lake which lies on the side of the approach. A branch of the Lee threads its way through the entire length of the ravine, over which two rustic bridges have been thrown. The farther end opens out into the valley of Commeduff, where is seen a red trout lake and a fine cascade, the waters of which supply neighbouring loughlets. "Kate Kearney" is described as having made this spot her retreat. Dunloe Castle stands near Laune Bridge, and appears to have been erected as a defence to the entrance of the defile. Near this spot is the cave in which the Ogham inscriptions were found in 1838."
"GLENCAR, in the parishes of Killorglin and Knockane, it lies partly in the barony of Dunkerron, and partly along the mutual border of Dunkerron and Inveragh, county Kerry, province of Munster, Ireland. It is a picturesque valley of the mountains which blend with the Magillicuddy's Reeks. Donald MacCarty More was created Earl of Glencar by Queen Elizabeth in 1565."