"KNOCKANE, a parish in the barony of Dunkerron, county Kerry, province of Munster, Ireland, 7 miles N.W. of Killarney, its post town. It is over 10 miles in length and breadth, and extends between the rivers Laune and Blackwater. By far the greater portion of the surface is mountainous, and comprises the range called the M'Gillycuddy's Reeks. The parish contains districts and objects of great celebrity, noticed under their proper heads, e.g., the Lakes of Killarney. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe, value £241, in the patronage of the crown. The church was built by the late Board of First Fruits in 1813. Here are a Roman Catholic chapel and three hedge-schools. Whitfield is the seat of M'Gillycuddy of the Reeks. Dunloe is another seat. Sandstone, limestone, and slate prevail among the rocks."