"MINARD, a parish, in the barony of CORKAGUINEY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 5 miles (E. S. E. ) from Dingle, on the road to Tralee; containing 1474 inhabitants. It is situated on the northern side of the bay of Dingle: near the shore are the ruins of Minard Castle.
The parish comprises 4927 statute acres, as apploted under the tithe act, of which 2770 acres are arable land, and the remainder consists of coarse mountain pasture, mostly reclaimable: good building stone is found in several places. Sea-weed and sand are in general use for manure; and the bog, being nearly exhausted, turf for fuel is brought from the coast of Iveragh on the opposite side of Dingle bay. The bay abounds with a variety of fish, but the fishery is here attended with much trouble and danger, the adjacent coast for several miles consisting of precipitous cliffs, and there is but a single narrow creek, in which only one boat can land at a time.
The parish is in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe: the rectory is partly impropriate in Lord Ventry, but chiefly in the Earl of Cork, and the vicarage forms part of the union of Ballinacourty or Kilflyn.
In the R. C. divisions it is included in the union or district of Dingle: at Lispole is the chapel, in which a school is held. There are no remains of the old church, but the burial ground is still used."
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland by Samuel Lewis (1837)]
The old parish burial ground is in the townland of Aglish. A transcription of the memorial inscriptions is on a separate page.
Note: The Civil Parish of Minard ceased to be used for census purposes in the mid nineteenth century when District Electoral Divisions (DEDs) were introduced.
The Parish of Minard is contained in Minard DED.
The location of the old parish church is uncertain. The ancient parish burial ground is in Aglish townland, the name coming from Eaglais or church. However, there are also remains of St. Mary's Church at Kilmurry townland. It is likely that the old parish church was abandoned at the Reformation and a new church built, but there are conflicting traditions as to which is the site of which church. In any case, the Protestant church having been abandoned, Minard has long been united to Ballynacourty in the Church of Ireland. In the Roman Catholic church, Minard is part of the Parish of Dingle, served by a church at Lispole.
Roman Catholic Registers
Church of Ireland Registers
Minard has long been united to Ballynacourty parish. Ballynacourty Registers for both Baptisms and Marriages start in 1803.
From 1863 Minard was part of the Dingle Registration District, and the Awenascale
See the Registration Districts
The District Electoral Divisions listed above are used in Civil Registration.