Anglo – Irish Treaty

Article 6
Until an arrangement has been made between the British and Irish Governments where by Ireland undertakes her coastal defence, the defence of Great Britain and Ireland shall be undertaken by HM Forces, but this shall not prevent the construction of maintenance by the Government of Ireland of such vessels as are necessary for the protection of revenue or fisheries.

Article 7
The Government of Ireland shall afford HM Forces – in time of peace, harbours and other facilities as indicated or such facilities as may be from time to time agreed. In time of war – such harbour and other facilities as the British Government may require.

The Treaty Ports
Dockyard Port at Berehaven – maintained on care and maintenance by Royal Navy Queenstown (Cóbh) – harbour defences and certain buoys retained. Belfast Lough and Lough Swilly – harbour defences to be maintained. Oil storage facilities at Haulbowline (Cóbh) and Rathmullen (Lough Swilly) to be offered for sale to commercial concerns under a guarentee that they maintain a certain minimum stock of fuel for admiralty requirements. Aviation – facilities to be maintained in the named ports for coastal air defence.

Coastal & Marine Service

May 4th, 1923 to March 31st, 1924
1 One of the first Ships for the new Free State.
DAINTY
  • Coastal & Marine Service
  • Dainty 468grt
  • Built Chepstow 1918
  • Transferred to Irish Free State 1922
  • Ex Admiralty Deep-Sea tug
  • Sold out of service to French interests
The need for national economies led to the service being wound up after 10 months and 27 days.
Murichu transferred to the Department of Agriculture. Other vessels transferred to Office of Public Works for sale or disposal.

The British Depart
The Treaty Ports remained under the control of the UK until the signing of the Anglo-Irish Free Trade Agreement in 1938 between Neville Chamberlain and Eamonn DeValera.

Treaty Ports Question
From an Irish point of view, the handover of the ports in the lead-up to WWII was felt to be vital to consolidate Ireland's neutrality. Winston Churchill opposed the surrender of the ports and even suggested the invasion of the Irish Free State to secure the ports at the beginning of WWII.

The Emergency
1939 - 1945
Marine & Coastwatching Service
Coastwatching Service founded August 29, 1939.

Marine Service founded September 06 1939.
Marine & Coastwatching Service
The Marine Service and Coastwatching service merged on December 07, 1939.
Set up to comply with the 1907 Hague Convention on neutral powers in a naval war.
  • Marine & Coastwatching Service
  • Control the use of territorial waters and ports by belligerent warships.
  • Control of the use of territorial waters and ports by merchant shipping.
  • Minelaying, minesweeping and the notification and distruction of mines.
  • Protection of the country’s fishing limits.
    Escort duties.
  • Protection of navigational aids and sea rescue.
  • Marine & Coastwatching Service
  • Marine service took over the former Royal Naval yard and hospital at Haulbowline Island, Cóbh on July 07, 1940.

2
First Commander of the Marine and Coast Watching Service
(left)as Lt.Cdr James Morris (RN) and later changed his name to Cdr.Seamus O'Muiris (MS)
Coastal & Marine Service Ships and Boats
  • SS “Dainty” deep sea tug / patrol sloop
  • patrol vessel “Murichu” (ex HMS Helga)
  • 6 Mersey class armed trawlers
  • 6 Canadian Castle class armed trawlers
  • 2 drifters “Inisherer” & “John S. Somers”
  • 5 chartered river patrol boats
  • 3 80ft motor launches
  • 2 steam launches
3Murichu
  • Built Dublin Liffey Dockyard 1908 323grt
  • Ex HMY Helga (Shelled the GPO 1916
  • Passed to Coastal and Marine Service in 1923
  • Fisheries Protection 1924 to 1939
  • Armament: Twelve Pounder Gun
  • Sold to Hammond Lane Scrap Merchants Dublin, sank on delivery voyage.
4Fort Rannoch
  • Built John Lewis & Sons, Aberdeen 1936 - 258grt
  • Ordered by Department of Fisheries 1938
  • Transferred to Department of Defence 1939
  • Armament: Twelve Pounder Gun
5 Shark
  • Built Grimsby Trawling Company -1891 163grt
  • Operated by Palmer Bros. Ringaskiddy as a salvage vessel from 1926. Used
  • to salvage material from the “Celtic”.
  • Purchased by Marine Service October 1940
  • Sold to Halbowline Industries, Cóbh for breaking 1952.
  • Armament: none
6 Isaalt
  • Built Porthmadog, Wales 1909 - 134grt
  • Bought by the Marine Service from a private owner in Skibbereen in 1940.
  • Sold to a private owner in 1945.
  • Sank off Wicklow Head – December 1947.
  • Armament: none
7MTB Boats M1 – M6
  • Built by Thornycroft 1940 40grt
  • M1 originally built for Estonia
  • M2 originally built for Latvia
  • Armament: 2 torpedoes. Depth Charges. Madsen or Hotchkiss M/guns
  • All sold out of service to Col. Fitzmaurice between 1948 and 1950.
8 L.E. Macha 01
  • Year of Service 1946 – 1970
  • Launched: George Brown, Grenock 1942. - 1020 tons displacement
  • Commissioned Royal Navy as HMS Borage.
  • Commissioned into Irish Naval Service – November 15, 1946.
  • Sold to Haulbowline Industries for breaking on November 02, 1970
  • Armament: 4 inch gun, 2 pounder gun 2 single 20mm AA guns, hedgehog mortar, four depth charge throwers, two depth charge racks.
  • 9 L.E. Maeve 02
    • Year of Service 1946 – 1972
    • Launched: H.J. Inglis, Glasgow 1941. - 1020 tons displacement
    • Commissioned Royal Navy as HMS Oxlip.
    • Commissioned into Irish Naval Service – December 20, 1946 at Devonport.
    • Sold to Haulbowline Industries for breaking on March 23, 1972
    • Armament: 4 inch gun, 2 pounder gun 2 single 20mm AA guns, hedgehog mortar, four depth charge throwers, two depth charge racks.
    10 L.E. Cliona No.03
    • In Service 1946-1970
    • Launched at George Brown Grenock 1941
    • Commissioned Royal Navy as HMS Bellwort
    • Commissioned into Irish Naval Service 3rd Feb. 1947 at Devonport
    • Industries Sold to Haulbowline for breaking on November 04, 1970
    • Armament: 4 inch gun, 2 pounder gun 2 single 20mm AA guns, hedgehog mortar, four depth charge throwers, two depth charge racks.
    • Flag ship – equipped with suite of cabins for Defence Forces senior officers.
    11 LE Ferdia A16
    • Years of Serice 1977 - 1978
    • Built: Denmark 1965 as stern trawler Helen Basse 651grt. Had a later
    • career as a seismic survey vessel.
    • Chartered to Irish Naval Service for use as a patrol vessel.
    • Armament: 20mm Oerlikon
    12 LE Setanta A15
    • Launched: Liffey Dockyard, Dublin 1953. - 1173 tons dis.
    • Delivered to Commissioners of Irish Lights as tender ISOLDA
    • Bought by Irish Naval Service in 1976 as training and supply ship
    • Sold to Haulbowline Industries, Cóbh for breaking 1984.
    • Armament: 2 x 20mm Oerlikon.
    13 L.E. Grainne
    • No. CM10
    • Service 1970 – 1987
    • Launched: Thornycroft, July 20, 1954. - 360 tons displacement
    • Commissioned Royal Navy as HMS Oulston.
    • Commissioned into Irish Naval Service – January 30, 1971.
    • Sold to Spanish interests for breaking - 1987
    • Armament: 40mm Bofors Gun 20mm Oerlikon.
    14 L.E. Banba CM11
    • Years in Service 1971 – 1984
    • Launched: Thornycroft, March 24, 1954. - 360 tons displacement
    • Commissioned Royal Navy as HMS Alverton.
    • Commissioned into Irish Naval Service – February 23, 1971 at Gibraltar
    • Sold to Spanish interests for breaking - 1984
    • Armament: 40mm Bofors Gun 20mm Oerlikon.
    15L.E. Fola CM12
    • Years of Service 1970 – 1987
    • Launched: Thornycroft, June 21, 1955. - 360 tons displacement
    • Commissioned Royal Navy as HMS Blaxton.
    • Commissioned into Irish Naval Service – February 23, 1971 at Gibraltar
    • Sold to Spanish interests for breaking - 1987
    • Armament: 40mm Bofors Gun 20mm Oerlikon.
    16LE Dierdre P20
    • Years of Service 1972 - 2001
    • Launched: Verolme Cork Dockyard, January 21, 1972. - 972 tons displacement
    • Commissioned into Irish Naval Service – June 19, 1972
    • Armament: 40mm Bofors Gun 120 rounds/minute 2 x 12.7mm heavy machine guns.
    • Sold at auction for IR£190,000 to Seastream International Limited, Cornwall 2001
    • Rebuilt as a private charter yacht operating on the Mediterranean.
    17 LE Emer P21
    • Launched: Verolme Cork Dockyard, September 12, 1977. - 1020 tons disp.
    • Commissioned into Irish Naval Service – January 16, 1978
    • Armament: 40mm Bofors Gun 120 rounds/minute, 2 x 20 mm heavy machine guns.
    • Still in service
    18 LE Aoife P22
    • Launched: Verolme Cork Dockyard, May 25, 1979. - 1020 tons disp.
    • Commissioned into Irish Naval Service – November 29, 1978
    • Armament: 40mm Bofors Gun 120 rounds/minute, 2 x 20 mm heavy machine guns.
    • Fitted with bow thruster
    • Still in service
    19
      LE Aisling P23
    • Launched: Verolme Cork Dockyard, July 27, 1979. - 1020 tons disp
    • Commissioned into Irish Naval Service – May 21, 1978
    • Armament: 40mm Bofors Gun 120 rounds/minute, 2 x 20 mm heavy machine guns.
    • Fitted with bow thruster
    • Still in service
    20 LE Eithne P31
    • Launched: Verolme Cork Dockyard, December 19, 1983. - 1760 tons displacement
    • Commissioned into Irish Naval Service – December 07, 1984
    • Armament: 57mm Bofors Gun 200 rounds/minute, 2 x 20 mm Rheinmettal heavy machine guns. 2 x Wallop illuminant launchers.
    • Hangar for Dauphin 2 helicopter
    • Still in service
    21 LE Orla P41
    • Built: Hall Russell, September 11, 1984. - 712 tons displacement
    • Commissioned into Royal Navy – October 17, 1984 – HMS Swift
    • Sold to Irish Naval Service November 21, 1988.
    • Armament: 76mm OTO Melara gun 120 rounds/minute, 2 x 12.7 mm heavy machine guns. 4 x 7.62mm machine guns
    • Still in service
    22 LE Ciara P42
    • Built: Hall Russell, March 31, 1984. - 712 tons displacement
    • Commissioned into Royal Navy – May 03, 1984 – HMS Swallow
    • Sold to Irish Naval Service November 21, 1988.
    • Armament: 76mm OTO Melara gun 120 rounds/minute, 2 x 12.7 mm heavy machine guns. 4 x 7.62mm machine guns
    • Still in service
    23 LE Rosín P51
    • Launched: Appledore 1999, December 15, 1999. - 1500 tons displacement Speed 23 knots
    • Armament: 1x76mm OTO Melara Cannon, 2x1.27mm HMG and 4x7.62mm GPMG 
    24 LE Niamh P52
    • Launched: Appledore 2001, September 18, 2001. - 1500 tons displacement Speed 23 knots
    • Armament: 1x76mm OTO Melara Cannon, 2x1.27mm HMG and 4x7.62mm GPMG 
    25 David F
    • Built: Zwolle, Netherlands 1962 for Marine Transport Services of Cóbh. 69grt
    • Chartered to INS between 1970 and 1989 until acquired.
    26 Fiach Dubh (Raven)
    • Built in 1981 by Arklow Engineering for Marine Transport Services. 18.7 grt
    • Sold to Irish Naval Service 1985
    27 FAINLEOG [Swallow]
  • Built: Den Dever, Netherlands 1971 for Marine Transport Services. 14.8grt
  • Sold to Irish Naval Service 1982
  • 28 28

    Jim Brady author of books relating to the time he served as a Technican during the early 1950's. Jim is currently a member of the Dublin Branch of the Naval Association

    His books can be obtained through Anchor Press, 5 Ballinteer Grove, Dublin 16.

    Some Extra Pictures
    29
    30
    31
    32 33
    34
    35
    36
    37
    38
    39
    40
    41
    42
    43
    44
    45
    46
    47
    48
    49
    50
    51
    52
    53
    Click --- Here.. to return to front page.