Happy Saint Patricks Day to all
our members and especially our expatriot's around the
The Club Crest Which was adopted in 1981 incorporates
the G.A.A. cross, the club colours and a famous Tramore
landmark, "The Metal Man"
It was designed locally by (Mrs Brophy) and chosen from
a number which were submitted to the club.
Tramore : Holds a proud and distinguished place
in the annals of the G.A.A because on a wet and windy 6th
October in 1885 Martin J. Murphy's racecourse (in the vicinity
of the Back Strand) hosted one of the first ever championship
athletic meetings held under the auspices of the G.A.A. The
President of the Association (Maurice Davin) could not have
selected a more ideal location for the purpose, as the ground
was perfectly level, while a large Stand provided adequate
shelter for the great concourse of spectators. Richard Power,
M.P and Edmond Leamy acted as Stewards at the meeting while
Maurice Davin acted as referee. Dan Fraher of Dungarvan was
one of the famous people who competed at the sports and won
the hop, step and jump, 31 feet 8 and a quarter inches.
This of course, was a standing hop-step and jump,
A dinner was held afterwards in Quigley's Hotel (the present
Hibernian Hotel), at which Maurice Davin was highly praised
for his organizing of the event, not alone beforehand, but
also on the field itself. That was indeed a glorious start
for Tramore's connection with the G.A.A at the dawn of the
In the 1951 Tramore decided they would form a new club and
for that very purpose a meeting was held in the assembly rooms(now
the Bridge Club) on Tuesday 27th November 1951. A committee
was elected. And so new Tramore GAA club was born which was
named “Cuman Micheál MacCraith”
|Snippet From the Past
In the 1970’s the club was among the first
of the GAA clubs to build a social centre, which
was a great success and served the community well,
providing sport and social activities
Unfortunately in August of 1999 one of the biggest
disasters to hit the club occurred when the centre
was maliciously burned and destroyed. The roof
of the recreation hall collapsed in the blaze.
With the community behind us we got two magnificent
bars re-opened, where we hold lively music nights
at weekends. The Golden Jubilee Celebrations held
recently were a great success with lots of entertainment.
The club is currently working on the rebuilding
of the social centre.
The old "Isles
of the Sea" Club in Tramore sported a dark
blue jersey with a light blue sash. In the 1940's
blue and gold jerseys were used by the Club at
that time. In 1951 the Officers and committee
opted for blue and white as the colours of the
new Club and after the passage of 50 years the
same colours have been retained.