St. John the Baptist, COI, Clontarf

Click a picture to see a larger view.

St. John the Baptist, Church of Ireland, Clontarf


The church lies on Seafield Road, Clontarf. The cross stands on the northern side of the church. The other memorials lie inside the church building.

At the time of the war, the church primarily served the Church of Ireland communities of Fairview and Clontarf.


Celtic Cross, Roll of Honour, Altar Furnishings and two Marble Plaques.

Inscriptions & Imagery

A large stone Celtic Cross, with shamrocks and Celtic motifs. The memorial is in good condition, though the inscriptions on all but the southern side are fading.

The southern base of the cross lists the names of thirty-three casualties under the title 1914-1919. Above, on the central part of the cross, is a list of ten casualties of the Second World War, under the title 1939-1945.

The northern base has the inscription:

To the Glory of God

And in Memory of

The Men of This Church

Who Fell

In The Great War


The eastern base has the inscription:

Erected By

The Parishioners of Clontarf


The western base has the inscription:

"Not Unto Us O Lord,

Not Unto Us,

But Unto Thy Name

Give The Praise"

Inside the church there are several memorials to the role of parishioners in the war:

The framed roll of honour features an Irish Harp and Crown flag and flags of various Allies, including Japan, Belgium, France, Italy, and the UK. The British royal arms appear at the bottom with the phrase 'God save the King'. There are one hundred and seventy four names listed, with many apparent cases of there been more than one member from the same family.

The marble plaque inside has the following dedication:

'The Panelling inside the communion rails and the Cross in the grounds were erected by the Parishioners To the Glory of God and in memory of the Men of this Church who fell in the Great War'.

As indicated on the above memorial, the panelling lies inside the communion rails around the altar.

The private marble plaque memorial to Captain Vernon features the family arms and the insignia of the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. The Vernons were the owners of Clontarf Castle and its lands.


33 casualties on parish memorial, with surname and initials, ordered by surname.

Plus private memorial to Captain Vernon.