Trinity College, Dublin

Click a picture to see a larger view.

Trinity College, Dublin - 1937 Reading Room


Front Square of the college.


Memorial hall and library building.

Inscriptions & Imagery

An account of the formal opening of the memorial hall can be found in the Irish Times, 12th November 1928. The octagonal reading room was opened in 1937.

The words NIKH stand over the entrance, for the Greek goddess of Victory.

Inside, in the memorial hall, the names of four hundred and fifty four casualties are recorded alphabetically on five marble panels. Each panel is surmounted with a victory laurel.

Fuller details of TCD casualties can be found in "University of Dublin, Trinity College, War List", published by the college in 1922. This estimates that 3,529 students, graduates, employees and staff of the college were involved in the war. Apart from the 454 who died, at least 343 were known to have been wounded.


454 casualties, recorded alphabetically. Some of those with Dublin links are listed here.