Note: Please respect the
privacy of the owners of these houses as they are
The main seat or home of the Glascott family was at
Alderton House. It was also called Piltown House. The other Glascott houses were Fruithill and
Killowen. The original Alderton House was situated near
Alderton Castle. The castle ruins are still to be seen.
The Glascotts settled in the townland of Ballyfarnogue
or Baile Fearnóg. This translates into the Home of the
Alder or as it became known- Aldertown or Alderton.
The house was built around 1820. It is a two storey with
a high roof. The main entrance is at the gable end. The
porch was erected by the Cairns family who are the
present owners. It has two bow (projecting) windows. The
bow window over the entrance porch is a
'blind' window. The other one is at the drawing room. There is a stewards house at the back
and fine gardens.
The above shows part of the Glascott
estate in Ballyfarnogue totalling 264 acres and is taken
from Griffith's Valuation 1853.
The Glascotts originated in Aldersgate, London. William
Glascott landed in Youghal Co.Cork in 1650 with a troop
of horse to fight for Cromwell. By way of payment he
received lands in Ballykelly in the Parish of
Whitechurch-taken from Arthur Keating,-at Oldcourt and
at Ballyfarnogue or Aldertown. The Oldcourt lands were
taken from David Sutton.
William was succeeded by his son John Glascott who added
the lands of Knockea and Killesk to the estate. Alderton
was next taken over by John's son George Glascott who
married Anne Gifford the daughter of William Gifford of
Piltown in 1729. The Glascotts and the
Giffords were to own most of Sutton's Parish in time.
Under the marriage agreement,George took over the lands
of Piltown,Whitechurch and Ballykelly. Before George
died he divided his estate between his sons Francis and
John. Francis received Piltown and Whitechurch while
John took over Alderton or Ballyfarnogue.
When Francis Glascott died in 1798 his son Rev.William
Glascott succeeded him at Piltown. He was the Rector of
the Parishes of Killesk and St.James, Dunbrody. When he
died in 1829 he was succeeded by his second son William
Madden Glascott. This William also inherited Alderton.
He was Justice of the Peace and High Sheriff of Wexford
The next Glascott was William's son-also William- who
was a Captain in the 30th foot regiment.When he died in
1917 he had an estate of 2,821 acres.
The Glacotts are buried in Whitechurch graveyard and
Glascotts plot in Whitechurch
The last Glascott,Philip Jocelyn Glascott,
died without children in 1933. Alderton House was sold to
Major Robert George Cazalet. This ended 270 years
of the Glascott family connection. Cazalet owned a
private plane. Also the remains of the Glascott bacon
factory can be seen and a circular silage tower.
Colonel Neville Cairns bought Alderton from
Mrs.Cazalet in 1958 and was a noted horseman. He
hunted with the Wexford Hounds. Patrick Cairns and his
wife Monica are the current owners and are in the farming
the Glasotts at Alderton
From left: Fanny Isabella (2nd wife
of Captain William Glascott), Jocelyn's wife from Dublin,
Philip Jocelyn, Captain William Glascott and Arthur
Kate Nolan,nee O'Brien, working at
Glascotts of Alderton, early in the last century. She was
a sister of Paddy O'Brien the blacksmith at Whitechurch.
Return to Local History