Note: Please respect the
privacy of the owners of these houses as they are
Fruit Hill was part of the Glascott estate
which included Alderton (Ballyfarnogue) and Killowen.
Whitechurch was called the Glascott Estate in the 1800's.
George Glascott, who was a grandson of the original
William Glascott of Alderton, bought the townland of
Ballinamóna in 1746. Fruit hill is part of this townland. It
passed down to his grandson who was also George. This
George had no sons but daughters. They had no
children.When Juliana died in 1885 Fruit Hill passed on to
her cousin Gerald Annesly Glascott. Gerald died on a
steamship in the Suez Canal in 1909.His estate at Fruit
Hill, of over 148 acres, went to his brother John. He died
in 1938. The Glascott graves can be seen in Whitechurch
cemetery and the gravestone inscrpitions are worth reading.
William Kirby came to work in Fruit Hill around 1903 and
was granted the house and seven acres by the Land
Commission. It was costly for him
to maintain the house and so he moved to the nearby coach
house. His son Ned lived here for over thirty years and
sold the entire property around 1965. He passed away in
The house is now owned by Richard and Susan Devane and
they are doing a great job in restoring it to its former
glory and we wish them well. Up to a few years ago the
house was in ruins.
Showing the restoration work on
Lovely stone work at rear of house
The house is a three storey with no
basement. It has lovely dormer windows with a venetian
window in the front.
Please return to