Hare Coursing and hunting were very popular in our
parish. Kilmannock was one of the main coursing places
in Ireland. The last meeting took place in 1827.
Coursing also took place in Campile from 1930-1933. Bill
Power from Ballinamona used sleep in a tent looking
after the hares. The field was called Grennan’s Hare
The following is taken from ‘Bassett’s
Directory of County Wexford' Published in 1885.
Kilmannock Coursing Club holds two meetings a year. The
first meeting takes place in April and the second one in
October. Captain Samuel Barrett is President and
Laurence Murphy of Ballykerogue is
Secretary and Treasurer. There are 25 members.
The Captain takes great interest in coursing, but does
not engage in it with his own dogs.
The coursing ground is about
400 acres in extent and of its size is considered to be
one of the
best in Ireland. It takes in the estate of Captain